Having troubles getting into my gs1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having troubles getting into my gs1000

Hello, new to the forums I have a 78 gs 1000 (hint my login) that just died a few days ago. Took off the top end timing chain is perfect and aligned. I take off the carbs and theres tiny pieces of metal i had to remove that came from the engine.

So I go to get into the engine and i take out all the 10 of the top screws plus the exhaust that are holding me back, but I cant get it to open up! Something got destroyed in there and trying to see what it is because the bike ran like a champ before this occurence, has less then 50k original miles!

Let me know if you have any ideas
    Thanks,
    Alex

Not sure but I think you have to remove the chrome caps at the end of the cams.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 78gs1000,

If it's been a while, the valve cover can be quite stubborn to get off. The gasket is probably really stuck and it will take some "persuasion". Perhaps a rubber mallet? Sometimes you have to resort to a wide, flat, narrow blade driven into one corner to pop the valve cover up. Be very careful not to dent or mar the aluminum.

After re-reading your post, I'm actually not clear about what you've taken off. Has the valve cover been removed? Are you now working on removing the head? Have you removed the cam chain tensioner, cam caps, cams, and head bolts? Don't let the cam chain fall into the bottom end.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the hearty welcome Your website BassCliff has come in handy many times already!!

I might need to take a photo of what I'm referring too, but I have the top end off to where I can see the timing chain and all that, but trying to take the rest of the chassis of below that point and see what broke down there. I tried a rubber mallet may try some more, I have every screw off I can see

Comment

Have you removed the cam shafts and hung the timing chain so's not to drop it into the bottom end?cam chain guides? have you removed all the head bolts? if the answer is yes to all the above you can tap and pry lightly all the way around taking care not to stress any of the fins on the head. Pc's of metal possibly a piston?
          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Thanks for the help hjfisk, I did not know you actually had to take the cam shafts off! Silly me, will try this in just a moment, I do have all the head bolts off. If it is a piston (which is what I also expect to find destroyed) What do you think that will run me? I have enough mechanical experience to take care of myself.

Comment

Also Thanks Jeff, pretty sure you and hjfisk are on to something!

Comment

Was able to get into it enough to see the problem. Here are pictures

I take it those are the pistons?
                One is cracked, one has a hole in it. Also pretty sure I know what caused it. I went to drain the oil before I pryed up the chassis and very very little oil came out, I changed the oil about 2-3 months ago so I have a feeling its burning oil to top things off.

Comment

Are you using the factory service manual from BC's site to do this tear down?

Can't see much from those pictures, do you have the head off, then pulled the cylinders?

The engine will run on very little oil. Has it been leaking oil?
                  1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                  1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                  1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                  1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                  1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                  1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                  2007 DRz 400S
                  1999 ATK 490ES
                  1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                    Are you using the factory service manual from BC's site to do this tear down?

Can't see much from those pictures, do you have the head off, then pulled the cylinders?

The engine will run on very little oil. Has it been leaking oil?
                    I am using that manuel yes, one question is I have the tappets off but do not have a "valve lifter" and a "valve guide remover" Is there anything I can use that does the same thing?

Comment

your pictures are not all that good, what you are saying looks like a piston, I'm not sure but unless you have lifted the barrels[ cylinders] off the block I could not make out pistons in your pics. You need to finish tearing it down to see. Also when you post pics maybe size them down alittle, it will help us help you if we have a better pic. As far as cost you won't know till you have it torn down and find ALL the damage. after you get the top end figured out you will have to assess the lower and how much debris went through it and how far or badly
                      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Originally posted by 78gs1000 View Post
                        I am using that manuel yes, one question is I have the tappets off but do not have a "valve lifter" and a "valve guide remover" Is there anything I can use that does the same thing?
                        On the head you need a valve spring compressor to tear it down . I personally just take my heads to a reputable shop and have them face the valves and change guides if it needs them, I do not have a valve grinder and guide tools . Have tools for just about everything else .
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

Ah, I see it looks like the cylinder sleeve #2 blew a chunk.

Sorry, that's #3 I guess if I have the orientation correct in my head now.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                            Ah, I see it looks like the cylinder sleeve #2 blew a chunk.

Sorry, that's #3 I guess if I have the orientation correct in my head now.
                            Thanks pretty sure thats right! Plus the stuff inside is all out of whack. I appreciate yalls help, from one GS brother to another! I am going to end up getting a 1979 gs1000 that is in top notch condition for about 1000 bucks. So I will still be on these forums, and I will have a lot of interchangeable parts!

Comment

They often have to be pried off.
                              That is why so many cylinders have a broken fin or two.
                              Be VERY careful and pry on an outside source if you can.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                              X