'80 550L won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 550L won't start

Had no problems with my 550 since I got it on memorial day. I went out of town for two weeks, and obviously the bike wasn't being run. Now that I'm back and working on a brake overhaul, the engine turns over but won't start! Yikes!

Any quick ideas about getting the old girl online?

Originally posted by GSinDC View Post
    Had no problems with my 550 since I got it on memorial day. I went out of town for two weeks, and obviously the bike wasn't being run. Now that I'm back and working on a brake overhaul, the engine turns over but won't start! Yikes!

Any quick ideas about getting the old girl online?
    Maybe the gas evaporated from carbs in the DC heat - does your bike petcock have a prime position? no sense cranking if no gas in carbs!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Agreed with Tom, the gas will evaporate after a couple of weeks so you might need to throw it on Prime for a few seconds first. Otherwise, how's your battery voltage?
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

You gents were right as always- I threw it into prime earlier and it didn't start, but this evening (after it had cooled down to a reasonable temperature) it fired up!! Hoping tomorrow the same holds true.

Comment

Working...
        X