oil pressure light flicker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil pressure light flicker

i have been getting the oil pressure light flicker on the over run whilst braking into a corn from the straight , is this normal gs engine behavior ? apart from that it seems fine

What's your oil level like?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

On my GS1000 the oil sensor connection to the wiring was a bit loose causing the oil light to flicker. It is a sideways slide on crimp affair.
      When my one started that kind of stuff I removed the connector from the sensor and bent the crimp connector so it would take a better hold of the sensor connection post, then the flikering stopped.
      Worth a look, as is the oil level mentioned below.

Comment

The pickup is located roughly center of the oil pan, so even under hard braking I've never had a GS light the oil lamp unless it was low on oil. Even going down steepish grades. Check your oil level, if that's ok I'd maybe pull the pan and see if maybe the sump screen and the pan itself needs cleaned out. Might be some gunk in there restricting flow just enough that the oil running away from the pickup under braking force is causing a pressure drop.

Btw, what year 550? the 83 and on 16v motor were high pressure oiling systems with a insert bearing crank. If that's the motor you have I'd get to the bottom of it quickly, as the plain bearing motors were not as tolerant of low/dirty oil flow as the roller bearing bikes seem to be.

Comment

not sure of the year engine, its a 550 8 valve, was electric start only but put kick start on, all the engine is clean , reckon the wire idea could be the suspect, sould have thought of that one!!! , simple ideas first , will give it a check over and see if it is a connection

Comment

If that's a current recent picture I'd almost say you are too low on oil. Should be at least between the F and L marks on the sight glass there on your clutch cover.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Isn't the engine mounted at a different angle than most? It looks lower in the front. That could have an effect. And you have much better tires and brakes. Sometimes the light does come on under heavy braking.
              Last edited by tkent02; 07-25-2011, 04:30 PM.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Good eye Tom..It does seem to be pitched forward an unusual amount.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by dansofield550 View Post
                  not sure of the year engine, its a 550 8 valve, was electric start only but put kick start on, all the engine is clean , reckon the wire idea could be the suspect, sould have thought of that one!!! , simple ideas first , will give it a check over and see if it is a connection

Sweet jesus... off topic, did you eliminate the battery or relocate it to the hump?

Comment

then engine is at an angle different to that in a gs , but i always measure oil in a jug before putting it in , i did wonder if i should make a baffle welded onto the sump to keep the oil around the oil strainer / pickup , anyone done this before? although having just said that i think the casing joins onto the sump pan in a way that would act as an oil baffle. i've got an engine in bits at home i'll have a check tonight .

think that the wiring is the first check though as i recall the connection being
                    a slide on type that can rotate about the round peg part of the oil pressure switch, would fit the symptoms if it moves as i brake .

the battery is in the hump,

Comment

Working...
                    X