Starting problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting problem

I have an 84 gs550es and Initially i had a problem with starting my bike. it would start and if it didn't warm up it wouldn't start again. i did an o ring replacement in the carbs and cleaned them. started it up and it idled weird and i took it to a shop and they did a compression test on it and one cylinder read 80psi and the rest were normal. I then did valve clearances and re cleaned the carbs. now it will not start up. it sounds like its going to start and when you let go of the start button it dies. i checked the spark plugs and it sounds like when trying to start the bike there sounds like there is air coming from them. also when i took them out before the outside 2 spark plugs had oil on the threads and they are brand new plugs. any suggestions or ideas?

Do a compression test.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ok i had a shop do one before and one cylinder was reading 80psi but that was before i did the valve clearances

Comment

Hi,

Check for spark. Check for fuel.

What is the voltage at the coils?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

"O-ring replacement" in the carbs or did you mean between carbs and cylinder head? Recheck compression now that you've done valves. Has this bike sat idle for a while? Did you make sure that there is fuel in carbs- use prime position on petcock?
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by 84gs550es View Post
            I have an 84 gs550es and Initially i had a problem with starting my bike. it would start and if it didn't warm up it wouldn't start again. i did an o ring replacement in the carbs and cleaned them. started it up and it idled weird and i took it to a shop and they did a compression test on it and one cylinder read 80psi and the rest were normal. I then did valve clearances and re cleaned the carbs. now it will not start up. it sounds like its going to start and when you let go of the start button it dies. i checked the spark plugs and it sounds like when trying to start the bike there sounds like there is air coming from them. also when i took them out before the outside 2 spark plugs had oil on the threads and they are brand new plugs. any suggestions or ideas?
            Are you saying you have leakage from the spark plug threads? If so, that may be a good place to start, threads good or stripped? Plugs loose? Ray
            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

sorry i haven't posted in awhile someone let me ride their bike while they were on vacation so i haven't done anything to it yet. I think what I'm going to do is have someone that knows what they are doing look at it and see what they think it could be. I'm not gonna go to a shop though because they will just take my money. If there is anyone in Ohio that would help I can bring the bike to someone if they are willing to help. I have talked to Steve on the phone but he is still working in New York. So I am hoping someone else in Ohio could help me before this bike becomes a winter project so I can at least have it on the road a few times before it gets cold.

Comment

Working...
              X