Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

83 GS750 Cam tension Slider:how to change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750 Cam tension Slider:how to change?

83 GS 750 TD: have the heads & jugs off. Rear cam tension slider is a bit chewed up. How do you get it out without taking the crankcase apart? Can that be done? Sorry if this is already posted: searched but did not find it.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mmahmud1,

Does this help? Click> Replace seals in cam chain tensioner

Now let me dump a TON if information on you, and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

that's not the part I'm working on. That's the tension adjuster. I need to replace the long curved plastic slide that the chain rubs against. Like this picture:

Comment

It bolts on under the cylinder. You have to have the cylinders off to replace it. Since the "jugs" are off take a looksy and there is a bolt holding it on.
        Last edited by chef1366; 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi,

I think #2 (guide) attaches at the top but #5 (tensioner) attaches at the lower side of the crankcase.

Hey Chef, do you have to split the cases?

BassCliff

Comment

I appreciate the help. Thanks for the quick response. But I don't get it. I don't see any screws/bolts on the top of the crankcase: is that where it should be? My manual shows a smaller vertical piece, which looks to be held in by a two-sized stud on the underside of the top of the crankcase. And the actual chain guide seems to be pinned to tne bottom of this smaller piece. I can't even see or feel the stud. not sure where exactly it is relative to the slot down the center. Straight back I guess.

Comment

That picture is exactly right! Thanks BassCliff! #5 is pinned way down at the bottom. Is there a way to get at it?

Comment

See that bolt right in front of the oil sending unit? That is the one that holds the tensioner in.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thanks Bill,

My engine will be looking like that when it comes time to replace my base gasket.

BassCliff

Comment

You can see the bolt hole here

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                      Thanks Bill,

My engine will be looking like that when it comes time to replace my base gasket.

BassCliff
                      Let me know and I'll help you.

Comment

I hate to be dense, but I don't see any bolt there, nor sending unit!

Comment

Could it be under the starter cover?

Comment

I'd take off the oil pan and look underneith the motor.
                            Sorry didn't know your motor was that much different.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I removed the sump cover and stared at it closely. Apparently, the oil pump is in the rear by the tranny, but the filter is in the front. So there is a rib and some tubes built into the lower case casting that prevent access to the center of the crankshaft, where the cam chain runs. Cannot even see the cam chain from the bottom. So I guess the case has to be split. I don't see any other way to get at the tension guide bar. Anyone with specific experience on the early 80's 750 TSCC got any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X