1982 gs850l keeps back firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs850l keeps back firing

I bought this 1982 gs850l for a couple hundred bucks the said the carbs just needed to be cleaned. I did that and finally now have the bike running but it keeps back firing and the idle is really high at 2000 rpms now before it 5000. My neighbor informed me that I'm more than likely need to have the carbs syncronized. I'm very new to this and little to no mechanical expertise at all.

Originally posted by chooch2 View Post
    I bought this 1982 gs850l for a couple hundred bucks the said the carbs just needed to be cleaned. I did that and finally now have the bike running but it keeps back firing and the idle is really high at 2000 rpms now before it 5000. My neighbor informed me that I'm more than likely need to have the carbs syncronized. I'm very new to this and little to no mechanical expertise at all.
    When Basscliff finds you, he will dump lots of info your way! Just how did you clean carbs? You will find folks here that will stress the right way to do it- shortcuts will only lead to frustration.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. cooch2,

Yes, start by cleaning the carbs properly. There are a couple of carb cleaning guides on my website. The carbs must be completely disassembled and all of the metal bits soaked in carb dip for up to 24 hours. Then reassemble with new float bowl gaskets and a new O-ring kit from http://cycleorings.com. DO NOT use any aftermarket "carb kits" when servicing the carbs. If jets, float valve seats, etc, must be replaced, use OEM parts for best results. The high idle is usually caused by air leaks in the intake system. See the Air Intake Repair guide and the Airbox Sealing guide on my website. Go over both maintenance lists in your "mega-welcome" for more critical tasks that must be addressed.

Anyway, let me point you in the right direction, dump a TON of information on you, and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

be ready to spend 300 dollars on the carbs,
        and another 100 on gaskets seals for intake to the breather and new filter,
        pray that does it, so far , hasnt worked for me yet,

Comment

Thank you for the info! I cleaned the carbs the way you said as in I completely disassembled them and soaked them for 24 hours. I let the bike warm up and it stopped backfiring but I still can't get the high idle to go down. My neighbor says I should more than likely change the intake boots and sync the carbs. I don't have a mechanic to help me with these things but I ordered a carb sync kit but I'm not really sure on how to properly sync them together.

Comment

Thank you for the info! I cleaned the carbs the way you said as in I completely disassembled them and soaked them for 24 hours. I let the bike warm up and it stopped backfiring but I still can't get the high idle to go down. My neighbor says I should more than likely change the intake boots and sync the carbs. I don't have a mechanic to help me with these things but I ordered a carb sync kit but I'm not really sure on how to properly sync them together.
            Basscliff provided you with a link to his website. Within you will find tons of instructional tutorials on how to do things like carb sync. Please take some time and educate yourself.

High idle is typically the result of leaking intake boots and/or their O-rings.

There is tons of info waiting out there for you to review. Here is a good reference for starters... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

You have a knowledgable neighbor and that will do for a mechanic to help you! When you pulled carbs out of 30 year old boots, you disturbed the tight seal- probably no amount of tightenning clamps will suffice now on these hard boots, Also when you change boots get some new o-rings at interface with cylinder head - another common place for nasty air leaks.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
              X