Disturbing mechanical "clunk"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disturbing mechanical "clunk"

After about a month of trying to figure out the rough idle on my 79 GS1000 (thanks bad points, hello HEI Mod) There is a new problem just popped up. On take off (Idle to 3kish) there is a rather loud and disturbing "clunk" coming from what seems the right side of the engine. My first guess was the clutch basket being loose which wasn't the case. During this time the bike also bucks a bit until you get into a higher RPM (above 3k) This only seems to happen when the bike is warmed up, and afterwards runs as if it has a dead cylinder. Also a notable whirring noise in the higher rpms. Any ideas?

Cam chain tensioner functioning correctly? Cam float/drift?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
      Cam chain tensioner functioning correctly? Cam float/drift?
      The tensioner was rebuilt recently, though I'll be sure to recheck that. How would I go about checking for the cam float/drift?

Comment

loud noise

I had a very loud noise in my gs1100gk which sounded like marbles. after about a month I went to hit the starter and it just whirled.The bolts that held the starter gear to the stator had sheared off lucky for me no damage. It sounded like it was coming from the clutch side as it took it all apart My want to check it

Comment

Working...
        X