X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine rattle, I don't know what it is.

And it makes me nervous

It's coming from the left case cover, right here:

If I touch it, I can feel the vibration.

Please someone tell me it's not a major issue.

It seems to be worse after the engine comes down from a rev.

Take off the cover an look.
    Its not like a rectal exam its just a few mechanical fasteners.

Comment

The rotor could be loose ?? Take the cover off and have a look!
      You will have to take the crash bars off.

Comment

I plan to do that for sure, I just didn't know if someone knew right off the bat. What is in there? I've never had one of these engines apart. What gasket would I need if I wanted to take the cover off?

Comment

Rotor could be loose, stator bolts could be loose, starter clutch bolts loose, magnet becoming delaminated. Thats about all the major stuff i can think of that could be wrong..if anything.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi,

That's the stator side of the engine. Have a look at my stator replacement guide to get an idea of what's involved.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Rotor could be loose, stator bolts could be loose, starter clutch bolts loose, magnet becoming delaminated. Thats about all the major stuff i can think of that could be wrong..if anything.
              OK good, that all sounds pretty easy to repair. I was afraid of lower engine damage or something.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

That's the stator side of the engine. Have a look at my stator replacement guide to get an idea of what's involved.

BassCliff
                One of my favorite domains on the net, thanks BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                  lol prepare the probe!
                  83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                    lol prepare the probe!
                    83 GS1100ES rebuild:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170032

Budget GSXR Conversion:

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=200563

New to me bike: 2008 B-KING

Comment

Just be aware that there is oil behind that cover. You can drain the oil if you want, but you can also tip the bike to the right by putting a 2x4 under the left foot of the centerstand. The bike is still very stable in that stance.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

I've never bothered with leaning my bike to the right. I've always replaced the stator when the bike is on the center stand. There will be a couple teaspoons of oil that you should catch when you take off the cover.

BassCliff

Comment

Im going with youn Cliff...its only a little bit that a shop rag will take care of easily.
                          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't have a center stand, lol. Us young whipper snappers don't like 'em

I do plan on getting a bike stand for this sort of thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Krunk_Kracker View Post
                              I don't have a center stand, lol. Us young whipper snappers don't like 'em

I do plan on getting a bike stand for this sort of thing though.
                              Just lean to right side against something solid- post, garage door frame, etc- block wheels so it don't move when you're cursing the stator cover screws,wait 5 ninutes, and you won't see any oil.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X