What happened to my clutch? 79 GS1000L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to my clutch? 79 GS1000L

I dismantled then reassembled my entire clutch assembly. After that the clutch lever required the same amount of force to pull.

Then I replaced the stock clutch springs with a set that are 10% stiffer and slightly longer. Now the clutch takes almost no effort to pull all the way to the grip.

I made sure that the teeth on the vertical rod on the cover meshed with the teeth on the horizontal rod coming out from the hub.

What did I do wrong?

Probably nothing serious...did you turn the shaft all the way counterclockwise before you put the link on top? I always turn the adjuster down there in a ways so i can get as much adjustment back into the cable as possible. Basically you want the bottom adjuster to be about 2/3 in and the one on the lever to be about centered. Start there and adjust the bottom one out the most un till you get the best lever. Then use the one at the lever for finer adjustments.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll try what you suggest. What I did do was turn the shaft clockwise before linking the cable since the clutch pull operates the shaft in the same direction of rotation. Thought that should cause the clutch to operate earlier in the lever travel.

Pulling the clutch lever operates the cable and rotates the shaft, it just doesn't take hardly any force to do so.

Comment

The shaft should be rotated counterclockwise to put pressure against the pressure plate..then the top linkage goes on with the cable end facing forward towards the engine. The linkgae should be at an approximate 90 degree angle to then heads...follow this explanation?? And the notches in the clutch rod thing inside should be facing to the front also.
        Last edited by chuck hahn; 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Mine must be different. I redid my work and it's all good, but I rotated the cover shaft clockwise and the teeth on the horizontal shaft must face towards the rear tire to engage the cover shaft.

Comment

Working...
          X