No start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start

Ok i bought a 1980 gs750 it is the 4 valve,Its said to be a no start I rebulit the head for the guy at my machine shop new guides valves and resurfaced the head he put the new rings in with new gaskets and he said it has spark and compression i haven't tested any thing out on it yet,Im going to go threw and fix what i see wrong i see a few small thing,But here is the ?s i have
    1.How do i tell if he set the cam timing right?
    2.I want to take the carbs apart and clean them is the intal adjumstens for the carbs to pre tuning when its running
    3.How do you time it how do you check the timing
    4.is it points if so what should they be gaped at

the head light isn't on the front and theirs tons of wires hanging out they cant all be for the light can they

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. robs750,

The 1980 GS750 has electronic ignition, no points. I don't know the valve timing procedure off the top of my head, but you can look it up in the manual (download from my website, there are a couple of 16 valve 750 manuals). You'll also find charts, specs, carb clean-up tutorials, etc, on my little website. Please help yourself. Read your "mega-welcome". It also contains lots of useful facts and material.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. I will put you on my prayer list.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok to day i looked the bike over i see that vacuum line on one of the carbs is off,Fixed some of the wiring it still doesn't crank over all the lights on the dash work neutral light is on brake lights work theirs a few wires up front i don't know what they go to but i think there for the light and blinkers, Could some one take a pic of the wires on the front of there bike with the light off i have a book for the bike but i couldn't locate them all,the petcock on the tank is messed up to

Comment

Is there any fuel on the spark plugs after cranking?
        Spray a little fuel in there and see if it'll fire.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by robs750 View Post
          Ok to day i looked the bike over i see that vacuum line on one of the carbs is off,Fixed some of the wiring it still doesn't crank over all the lights on the dash work neutral light is on brake lights work theirs a few wires up front i don't know what they go to but i think there for the light and blinkers, Could some one take a pic of the wires on the front of there bike with the light off i have a book for the bike but i couldn't locate them all,the petcock on the tank is messed up to
          Look at the wiring diagram in the service manual
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i have been,Does the petcock have to have vacuum to it to let fuel to the carbs How does that system work

Comment

Yes, the stock petcocks are vacuum operated. There's no "off" position. Most of them have a PRI or Prime position which allows fuel to run without vacuum (don't leave it on PRI though unless you want to fill up your crankcase with fuel), but this being an 80 it probably has an "alien" petcock without the prime position that Suzuki used only that year. There may be a screw head you can back out to allow fuel to flow. If the vacuum line to carb #2 is disconnected then the tap should be capped. The vents between 1-2 and 3-4 are just that and should not be hooked up to anything.

Search the forum for "oddball petcock" to get more information.

Comment

Ok cranked it over today has spark and compression
                Took the carbs apart and they were full of nasty grime and bad gas
                so heres my ? whats up with the rubber plugs that are in the pilot jet holes do they need these, dirt bike carbs i work on are not like this the polit jets then self's were plugged

Comment

You need them. The fuel is sucked up through the main and diverted to the pilot.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you have a helper handy, put a rag with gas on it over the intake boots, should fire right up

Comment

Ok thanks the bike should be running soon that way i can drive it home and work on it
                      what size diameter wise are the bars i should have looked when i was working on it i don't like the look of the high bars

Comment

Working...
                      X