1100G, final drive case gets hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100G, final drive case gets hot?

I never touched the final drive case after a ride before, but today after just a 20 mile sport ride I touched the case and it was too hot to keep my hand on it for more than 10 sec. Maybe that would make it 110º to 120º.
    This must be abnormal, and an indication of friction.
    Has anybody noticed their final drive case getting hot, Is it normal?
    Thanks! Bill
    1982 GS1100G- road bike
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine)
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane

Hi,

It does get warm. Just make sure the oil level is proper, not over-filled. Mr. bwringer tells me that over-filling can actually cause extra friction and heat. There is a breather circuit that you do not want to block by over-filling.

Yours sounds like a normal situation. Not to worry.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Bill, they do get hot, obviously, but if you say you could not hold your han to it for 10sec without burning, that sounds too much??
      What is the oil level like? To little will cause overheating due to increased friction, but so will too much oil, due to increased drag inside the case as the gears have to thrash through the oil.
      I take it there are no obvious signs of anything out of the ordanary, like leaks or noises.

Comment

Synthetic gear oil won't hurt.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Oil looked good enough…

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
          Bill, they do get hot, obviously, but if you say you could not hold your han to it for 10sec without burning, that sounds too much??
          What is the oil level like? To little will cause overheating due to increased friction, but so will too much oil, due to increased drag inside the case as the gears have to thrash through the oil.
          I take it there are no obvious signs of anything out of the ordanary, like leaks or noises.
          Well, my hand was not going to burn at 120º F, but it was quite uncomfortable.
          I can't remember changing the gear oil, and no notes of that in my service record, so I just did that. The old oil was a little dark, but still good, and the level was proper.
          Everything else looked normal and good.
          Thanks!
          And thanks to you other guys too!
          Bill
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 08-20-2011, 09:23 PM.
          1982 GS1100G- road bike

Comment

I recently changed my rear drive oil to a semi-synthetic and it typically runs around 125 degrees as measured by an infrared thermometer.
            1982 GS1100GL Citrus County, FL

a rare outsider and was only built until 1983. Who still has one, it gives her so little.

Comment

I had the same experience as FishFarm and was going to suggest using an infrared thermometer available at Harbor Freight for about $25, when on sale. I noticed a drop of about 10-15 degrees after switching to synthetic. Also, I added an additional magnet to the drain plug and R&R my final drive oil when I R&R my engine oil. Excessive? I agree, but considering its relatively low volume its cheap peace of mind.
              Willie
              Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
              '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
              '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
              '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Sounds like you are good Bill, ride and enjoy.

Comment

What's good for the bike is good for the car?

Has anybody put synthetic gear oil into the trans case (standard trans) of their car?
                  I might try that.
                  Bill
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike

Comment

Working...
                  X