Broken bolt, how serious is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken bolt, how serious is this?

I just put my motor back in the frame of my GS1K, and noticed a bolt head that was snapped. It looks like the head snapped clean off and left the rest of the bolt still in the hole.

Broken bolt is dead center of the head, not sure what its for to determine how critical it is to replace it. I have some screw extractors that I was going to use to remove the bolt if I can drill a hole in it for the extractor to bite into.

Opinions?

If I am not mistaken, that bolt screws into and holds the camchain guide in place, shouldn't be to hard to get out, probably find a left hand drill bit will bring it straight out, no drama.
    Most members here will warn you off an easy out, and I would normaly agree, they break off and cause all sorts of misery in your life, but in this case, I would give it a go, that bolt can't be very tight in there, but be warned, at the first sign of it not working, back off and loose the easy out.

Comment

I think I would play safe and pull the cams and remove the remaining bolt to release the guide. You can then tackle the offending broken bit in a vice. If the bolt has snapped it might have been because it was over tightened which can result in the guide cracking.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Tried using an easy out and just as feared, the easy out broke and is now stuck in the bolt.

Options?

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
          I think I would play safe and pull the cams and remove the remaining bolt to release the guide. You can then tackle the offending broken bit in a vice.
          This is the answer. I believe that he tried to tell you this before.
          And weren't you warned about using an easy out?

I wish that you had noticed it before installing the engine.
          It would have been much easier to fix.

I would either find another used guide or buy a new one and new bolts to be safe.

Daniel

P.S.: Your engine looks beautiful. The parts are still available new for about $10.00.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-25-2011, 03:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X