Struck by PO syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struck by PO syndrome

So, I'm attempting a 530 conversion, and trying to get the engine sprocket off. Can't get the damn thing off, even with a 14" breaker bar. Hit it with some PB Blaster...nada. Put some heat on it...zilch. I just can't get it to budge, and I REALLY want to get this damn thing off so I can put the new sprockets on and ride tomorrow. Help me please!

Edit: add the electric impact to the mix. Still won't come off
    Last edited by Guest; 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM.

I've seen the problem before, you need a strong air impact wrench.
    The sprocket nut is the first thing that needs to taken off. If you can still ride the bike, get it to a shop where they have the proper tools. After that, it should be a walk in the park

Comment

A tuff nut to crack for sure.Found a 4ft+. steel pipe for leverage and trusty assistant:my wife, were able to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitus View Post
        I've seen the problem before, you need a strong air impact wrench.
        The sprocket nut is the first thing that needs to taken off. If you can still ride the bike, get it to a shop where they have the proper tools. After that, it should be a walk in the park
        Originally I wasn't going to be taking it off, but "while I'm at it" (i.e. new tires) I thought I would do a 530 conversion

Yep, hindsight is always 20/20. Thanks for your help!

Comment

i has to be asked. did you bend the lockwasher tabs down? Keep it in gear too when you use the impact.

Comment

An expensive air impact gun will knock it loose.

Comment

Not sure if its the stock setup or not (bike has 41k miles, safe to say its been changed out a few times) but the current washer that's on there was bent back on one of the flats. I bent it out before hitting it with the impact. Bike is in gear, and and I have a wrench wedged in between the teeth and one of the engine brackets to keep it stationary

Gonna ask around at work for that expensive impact

Comment

Well I tried a 425 lb/ft impact. DIDN'T WORK!

WTF am I up against? There's no evidence of loc-tite, and it hasn't loosened with heat or PB Blaster. I've hit it with 2 impacts and a breaker bar, and I'm pretty sure that my left elbow is now f***ed. ARGH!

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
                  i has to be asked. did you bend the lockwasher tabs down? Keep it in gear too when you use the impact.
                  I never keep it in gear when taking off the sprocket nut. With an impact, just keeping the chain on is enough.
                  With normal tools I use the rear brake and chain to block the front sprocket, never my gearbox

Comment

Originally posted by spwalker09 View Post
                    Well I tried a 425 lb/ft impact. DIDN'T WORK!

WTF am I up against? There's no evidence of loc-tite, and it hasn't loosened with heat or PB Blaster. I've hit it with 2 impacts and a breaker bar, and I'm pretty sure that my left elbow is now f***ed. ARGH!
                    I'd say keep going at it, use heat, pb blaster AND an impact AND be patient. If it really doesnt want to come loose, I heard the some ppl can split the nut. Dont know exactly how that is done and you'd have to buy a new one, but that would solve your problem for sure

Comment

Are you turning it the right way ???? Rt = tight
                      Left = loose

Comment

Yup, I'm turning it the right way. Spent a few minutes scratching my head and following the threads just in case it was reverse threaded. Thinking of how I can split the nut, I don't care if I have to get another one, although it would mean MORE time not being able to ride this stupid thing!

Comment

Was hoping to post a success story today, but remain defeated against the sprocket nut from hell. Successive PB/heat/PB then impact attempts failed. Tried again with the breaker bar. Nope. 3-ft cheater bar added to the breaker bar. With the amount of torque I'm putting on it, I can see the breaker bar bend, which can't be good.

SURELY there is a way to get this damn thing off!

Anyone have a 1000 ft-lb impact?
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Was hoping to post a success story today, but remain defeated against the sprocket nut from hell. Successive PB/heat/PB then impact attempts failed. Tried again with the breaker bar. Nope. 3-ft cheater bar added to the breaker bar. With the amount of torque I'm putting on it, I can see the breaker bar bend, which can't be good.

SURELY there is a way to get this damn thing off!

Anyone have a 1000 ft-lb impact?
                            Crikey ! Maybe you should ask a shop where they service trucks!

Comment

Yup, I'm turning it the right way. Spent a few minutes scratching my head and following the threads just in case it was reverse threaded. Thinking of how I can split the nut, I don't care if I have to get another one, although it would mean MORE time not being able to ride this stupid thing!
                              You can split a nut by cutting it on two sides 180 deg apart with a Dremel and cut off disks. You should not need to cut more than 3/4 of the way through on each side. Then the impact will remove it. (at least it always has for me.) Cutting the nut reduces its grip on the threads. If the impact still fails to rotate the nut, you have the option of cutting almost through and splitting it off

Earl
                              Last edited by earlfor; 08-25-2011, 12:37 AM.
                              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Working...
                              X