The bane of the diagnostician...the "funny noise"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bane of the diagnostician...the "funny noise"

Over the last 3-4 days, started to hear the dreaded "funny noise" on The Flame! Noise sounds like it's coming from the chain area (kinda behind and below me seated on the bike), but chain and sprockets are new from last season and the chain is properly adjusted. The noise is an irregular metallic rattle (almost a jingle) that is only heard when cruising or decelerating in 3rd gear or higher. No sign of the sound in neutral (regardless of engine speed) and no sign of the sound when accelerating. (Of course, wind/engine noise and a helmeted rider make precise characterizations of the sound at speed difficult.)

Really sounds like something is loose and rattling, but I can find nothing to account for it, including the exhaust (no obvious loose baffle when I kick the exhaust at the collector or the megaphone). Also, sound is unaffected by bumps in the road...

Any ideas?

Check to make sure the chain guard has not been kicked so that the chain is rubbing on it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Check to make sure the chain guard has not been kicked so that the chain is rubbing on it.

Checked chain guard yesterday when I got home from work - looks fine (no dents and all fasteners tight).

Comment

I had my license plate do that to me one time. I only had bolts through the top two holes, and the plate was vibrating against the backing plate that holds the inspection sticker. Just something to check. Maybe you have a fastener getting loose on you.

Might also pull the cover and have a look at your countershaft sprocket. You would hate to find out the hard way that the nut was coming loose.

Comment

My old chain used to do that. I had installed it on the bike the way it came off of the bike, before I knew any better. The spacer was on the wrong side of the sprocket. It took three years to wear out a 630 DID O-Ring chain, but it used to jingle and make all sorts of noise that I was never aware of until I replaced it correctly.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

In the interests of providing closure, I am update this thread. Found the source of the noise on Saturday. It was...um...my helmet.

One of the vent sliders was stuck between open and closed. For some reason (probaby related to the way the sound from the slider propogated throught the helmet to my ears) the effect sounded just like something coming from below me on the bike.

The breakthrough in finding it came when I ducked my head down behind my windshield to cut the wind noise and, thus, hear the sound more clearly. Instead, it disappeared completely.

What kills me is that, for the past six weeks, I have been bugged by this noise and it has seriously reduced my riding enjoyment because I was worried something serious might be wrong. Well, at least there is still some time left in the riding season...

Comment

So the noise was all in (or on) your head?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
                So the noise was all in (or on) your head?

I guess if you're not having any real GS issues, you have to invent them. Lucky me.

Seriously, though, even though I blamed sound wave propogation through the helmet in this case, the fact is that I have a long history of difficulty in localizing sounds. Don't know why.

Anyway, back to enjoying late-summer riding!

Comment

Working...
                X