Cam chain gasket not seated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain gasket not seated?

I seem to remember putting a rectangular gasket that went around the cam chain hole when I put on the head gasket. This was from an Athena gasket set. Could an oil leak above the head gasket in the front center of the engine accompanied by a popping sound like an exhaust leak when reving engine be caused by not getting that square cam chain gasket / o ring properly seated? Hoping I don't have a cracked or warped head...

1982 GS 1100GLZ

What did the gasket look like There are two versions It was determined buy the members that the one with the narrow opening which covers the O ring groove did not use an O ring ???

Comment

I guess I don't remember what it looked like. I think I will take the top end back apart and try to see what the problem is.

Comment

I can't think of a good reason why an un-seated cam chain tunnel o-ring would cause a popping sound. Even if it was so un-seated that it was between the milled surfaces I'd expect it to crush down without much fuss. Could definitely cause an oil leak though! Did you replace the exhaust gaskets?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
          I can't think of a good reason why an un-seated cam chain tunnel o-ring would cause a popping sound. Even if it was so un-seated that it was between the milled surfaces I'd expect it to crush down without much fuss. Could definitely cause an oil leak though! Did you replace the exhaust gaskets?
          Yes, I did replace the exhaust gaskets. Although the number two exhaust on the mac 4-1 system didn't seat quite as well as the other three did. i did take the pipe off and re-bolt it on keeping all even as much as possible.

Comment

Disassembly revealed that the cam chain tunnel o-ring was damaged - it actually appeared to be melted in two places or maybe just badly crushed. Next time I will use OEM gaskets only! Anyway, that appears to explain the oil leak. Still not sure what the popping sound was - exhaust leaking somewhere - maybe header still was not seated properly.

Comment

Those rectangular o-rings squirm around and get pinched pretty easily on assembly. A few tips are to soak them in some hot water shortly before installation to help them return to true rectangular shape, and to use some Threebond or similar in their channel just to hold the o-ring in place.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                Those rectangular o-rings squirm around and get pinched pretty easily on assembly. A few tips are to soak them in some hot water shortly before installation to help them return to true rectangular shape, and to use some Threebond or similar in their channel just to hold the o-ring in place.
                Yes, that will be the plan next time. I know I was wondering about it when I put it together because it seemed to not be sitting in there very well.

Comment

Originally posted by lwitter View Post
                  Yes, I did replace the exhaust gaskets. Although the number two exhaust on the mac 4-1 system didn't seat quite as well as the other three did. i did take the pipe off and re-bolt it on keeping all even as much as possible.
                  I think a lot of the after-market headers do not fit as well as the stock exhausts...

I've used 2 exhaust seal rings in each exhaust port a couple of times to securely tighten & seal headers - no leaks.
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                    I think a lot of the after-market headers do not fit as well as the stock exhausts...

I've used 2 exhaust seal rings in each exhaust port a couple of times to securely tighten & seal headers - no leaks.
                    I actually did use two in the port that didn't seem to be fitting, but wasn't sure it was a good idea at the time. When I put it back on, I will be using two on each of them. Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Working...
                    X