1980 Suzuki GS750E Clutch cable adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 Suzuki GS750E Clutch cable adjustment

I am having an issue with adjusting the clutch cable correctly. I recently replaced it about 3 weeks ago and it broke again. Since then I have filed some rough edges on the handle control and installed another cable but not getting the tension it needs to feel right. When the old one broke, I had to hard shift it to get it home. Any ideas on the best way to adjust it? Thanks for any advice.

Originally posted by pj80gs View Post
    I am having an issue with adjusting the clutch cable correctly. I recently replaced it about 3 weeks ago and it broke again. Since then I have filed some rough edges on the handle control and installed another cable but not getting the tension it needs to feel right. When the old one broke, I had to hard shift it to get it home. Any ideas on the best way to adjust it? Thanks for any advice.
    Usually all you would do is turn the cable adjusters out until you only have about a 1/8" gap/free play slack between the clutch lever and the handlebar stop. The clutch lever should not put any tension on the cable until the gap between the lever and the housing on the handle bar is greater than at least 1/8".

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Correct, I usually use the bottom adjustment as a course adjustment and the top one to fine tune it. I did have one cable where I had to actually rotate the lever arm one notch. Kind of a really course adjustment.

Comment

How about the adjusted midway along the length of the cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Souske View Post
          How about the adjusted midway along the length of the cable?
          I have no idea what you mean.

Earl
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I have no idea what you mean.

Earl
            I do not have the clutch handle adjusted where it had the tension to shift as it did before. I removed and reinstalled the bracket that the cable attaches to at the clutch end. I adjusted that area as well as the handle end and still have the handle feel soft. I know your supposed to have a little leeway before the friction zone at the handle however it seems as though the clutch end moves too freely to shift and doesn't seem to move the full range to make a shift complete

Comment

Working...
            X