Mounting new bearings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting new bearings

When I started to restore my GSX750ES I decided to get rid of each and every bearing. Removing 26 years old bearings was a pain and I had to use the tool in the attached picture.
    Mounting the new ones is not a walk in the park either. I read about various methods to mount new bearings. Unfortunately I don't have the special tools required for that. What method is recommended ? Dry ice ? Special tool that needs to be purchased ?

If you are talking about wheel bearings, freeze them and use the old bearing to help press the new one in
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      If you are talking about wheel bearings, freeze them and use the old bearing to help press the new one in
      And a little bit of grease helps them slide in nicely.

I don't use the old bearing to help knock 'em in. A socket (the size of the outer race) is much easier to hold plus no risk of it getting stuck in.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I managed to put all new bearings in place.
        All are fine except some in the Cushion lever :

- 2 are perfect.
        - 2 would not accept the guide inside them - These ones seem to be ruined and I need to replace them.
        - 1 would accept the guide inside him but doesn't seem to roll as freely as the others. Is it permanently damaged too ? Is there a way to open the damn thing that seems to press the rollers ?

The way I used to squeeze the bearings into their place was by freezing them and heating the hole with a hair dryer. I hit them gently with a combination of a wooden hammer and the old bearings.
        A friend told me that my mistake was that I needed to put the guide inside the bearing while I was squeezing it in. This way it wouldn't warp...

Just to remove any doubt, I also ordered new guides because the old one were in very bad shape (see attached picture of the guides after they were cleaned).

Comment

I checked your pic... what bearings are you replacing?
          swingarm?

Comment

Cushion lever...

Comment

Pardon my stupidity, but what is a cushion lever?
              Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
              2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Don't feel alone Flatline... I didn't get it either. Nearest I could think was the swingarm, "cushions" the ride via the suspension (?)

Comment

LOL !!!
                  So "CUSHION LEVER" must be a Japanese dialect :-)

✓access the CUSHION LEVER schematic✓find Suzuki CUSHION LEVER spares easily✓OEM parts online available

Comment

It's part of the Full Floater mono shock assembly.

Comment

Working...
                    X