Mystery Hole???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery Hole???

Can anyone tell me what this hole is for? I've got oil leaking out of it, and I need to fix it. Its located under the starter, in front of the drive sprocket.
    Thanks

What bilke is it? I could look it up. put ur bike in your signature under user CP. Its the top far left tab.

Comment

Its a 1979 GS750L

Comment

Ah, the Mystery Hole:

Comes out here -- the blue hose is just stuck in there to show they're connected:

From the top:

There's a space in the casting in that area. The upper mystery hole serves as a drain for the starter cavity. The starter cavity is not sealed, so you need to make sure both mystery holes are open so that water can drain out if you ride in the rain.

If oil is coming out, it normally means that the o-ring on the nose of the starter is old and decrepit.

Of course, other oil leaks in this area can make their way into the starter cavity and out the mystery hole. For example, the cam chain tensioner or valve cover. Or if you have a fuel leak, it can end up washing through oil and dirt.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Very nice reply I must say... Pictures and all. I hope you didn't disassemble your whole engine just to take those pictures for me.
          I'll take my starter out tomorrow and see if its seeping out of that o-ring your talking about.
          Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by adamchatum View Post
            I hope you didn't disassemble your whole engine just to take those pictures for me.
            Now that would be AWESOME!

Comment

Very nice reply I must say... Pictures and all. I hope you didn't disassemble your whole engine just to take those pictures for me.
              I'll take my starter out tomorrow and see if its seeping out of that o-ring your talking about.
              Thanks again.
              Brian has posted those photos at least half a dozen times before. Nobody searches so smart men like him keep the photos handy.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok the mystery hole is solve but I have an odd depression in my belly.
                Where does that go?

I love these smileys. I had no idea they were so cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Brian has posted those photos at least half a dozen times before. Nobody searches so smart men like him keep the photos handy.
                  Yep, I've got several like this related to oft-repeated topics. That's a defunct GS850 engine in the photos, but the Mystery Hole is common to most, if not all, GS models.

What I think is awesome about this thread is that the OP actually called it a "Mystery Hole". I thought I coined the term, but maybe it's obvious...

We usually get two or three Mystery Hole threads a year, and a few times people have actually gone to the trouble of plugging their Mystery Hole with epoxy before asking about it, which leaves the starter swimming in water/oil the first time you ride in the rain.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys! I would have done a search, but I didn't know what the heck to search for! Makes sense now to have a place or the water to drain.

Comment

Well, I ended up taking out the starter, and there seems to be no oil coming from the starter shaft. I guess the only possible leak could be from the upper and lower crank case split line??? Great!

Comment

Well, I ended up taking out the starter, and there seems to be no oil coming from the starter shaft. I guess the only possible leak could be from the upper and lower crank case split line??? Great!
                        Crankcase leaks are very rare. Best to take a real close look, most likely it's something more obvious.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                          Ok the mystery hole is solve but I have an odd depression in my belly.
                          Where does that go?

I love these smileys. I had no idea they were so cool.
                          So you have an "inny" and not an "outy"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            So you have an "inny" and not an "outy"
                            Outties are wierd , like gingers. I suspect they also make the parents love the child less.

Comment

I think a lot of us have given us searching because it often fails and in many instances we can't think of what to search for. In this instance what are the 2 search words (3 words always returns an error) that would return this thread. Do you see what I mean?

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic
                              GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                              GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                              Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                              Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Working...
                              X