Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 L chain rub ?

1979 GS1000L
    the old chain was "deadly" bad. rear sprocket was missing a few teef !
    I pulled it and sprockets without loking at it much.
    I got a 530 conversion kit... JT sporockets.
    On with the the new stuff.. the chain rubs on the tab that holds the plastic chain guard ( on swingarm) ?!
    The swingarm was also off the bike recently.
    not sure if I'm looking at a chain/sprocket problem or if I did something wrong with the swingarm.
    the 6mm washer goes inside or outside of the front sprocket?
    the rear sprocket has an offset... should it be installed to be farther out or in towards wheel ?
    someone said "the tooth # stamp is always outside". true ???
    I had installed the front with the spacer (bushing) inside. Helped a bit when I put it outside of the c/s sprocket. was about to remove the rear sprocket and flip it so the offset goes a little further in, but I figgered I should ask before I go any farther.
    I know I did something stupid. Please help.
    1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

The spacer goes outside between the counterhaft sprocket and the nut. The outside face of the rear sprocket is the side stamped with the number of teeth. In doing a 530 conversion, the original diameter of the 630 countershaft sprocket needs to be considered. The conversion to a 530 counter shaft sprocket needs to retain the same diameter so that the chain travels the same distance above the swing arm. For example, the pin to pin spacing on 630 chain is 3/4". On 530 chain it is 5/8". Therefore if you had a 15 tooth 630 sprocket, the circumference would be .75 x 15 which equals 11.25 inches. 11.25 inches divided by .625 equals 18, so in 530 size, you would need 18 teeth. If the rear 630 sprocket was 45 teeth, that is a 3 to 1 ratio. Then in 530 size, for a 18 tooth front sprocket and to retain the same gear ratio, you would need a 54 tooth rear.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks.
      I had actually read that somewhere, but it didn't "stick" until now.
      so I compared ( and took a picture of) the new vs old sprockets. both fronts are 15 teeth. both rears are 42 teeth.

Wish I found this before I paid $120 for stuff I can't use: http://www.z1enterprises.com/referen...n630to530.aspx

Last edited by exdirtbiker; 09-19-2011, 04:20 PM. Reason: im stooopid.
      1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
      1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!

Comment

It's not like you are the first to make costly mistakes in the learning process. I could have built another bike for the money I wasted on my first and current project, but now that I know the pitfalls, I will be enjoying other projects for a lot less money. I went with a 18 tooth front sprocket, 50 tooth rear sprocket and 116 link chain on my 530 conversion. Stock ratio is 2.80, mine is 2.78. I think this is an ideal ratio for the GS1000 in a mixed bag of driving terrain. I have country roads, gravel roads, mountain twisties, and freeway driving. That's just on the way to work depending on if I want the short way or the fun way. It seems to put the power right where I need it. Where I was doing 4000 RPM at 70 before the conversion, now it's 4500 RPM at 70. Where I was always riding in fourth on the back roads, now there is plenty of power in fifth, with less downshifting to keep in a good power band in the curves. You can always fleebay the parts that you can't use hopefully.
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

you'll likely find a 17 on the front will sort the clearance issues out.... dunno how much chain length there is to play with but i have 17/42 on one of my bikes and it get great fuel economy... lol

front are cheap and if it'll go on with current chain length you may be ok....

Comment

I've already accetped that I need to throw another $65( plus shipping) at the beast.
            The chain is still at 120 links. I forgot to thank that ebay seller for that.
            best way to cut to length ? take a grinder to the end of one of the pins ?
            Maybe I should search that before I ask...

Comment

try the front first... that isn't $65. if it rubs or is close then get a bigger rear. get sprocket sizes right before you cut it

Comment

Working...
              X