Cylinder 3 still not working?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robgusto View Post
    All carb passages were clear and we have been through them/soaked and they were checked again when rejetted. However because I have been through the carbs many times and still have not figured out I may just start over with a new one. I have been looking on Ebay but can only find a set of 4. I'm not going to build my own from carb body because it could be a screwy part. The carb was injecting gas however the bike would not backfire? I figured I would see at least a little fire out of the pipe. There was gas leaking out of the pipe? We did make sure that the bowl was not overflowing but even if it was I would expect the occational backfire?

Post in the wanted parts forums here. There are many guys with lot's of spare parts.

-Dave
    82 GS1100E
    five asses because it's far superior to having just four!
    Yes, I watched too much South Park!

Comment

GS1000 #3 cylinder Wet/Not firing

I know this is a late post. But maybe it will help those searching the archives.
      If the#3 cylinder is not firing, no spark, Wet plug, Heavy smell of gas at the tail pipe.
      CHECK THIS NEXT. THE PETCOCK DIAPHRAM!
      The fuel valve/petcock is operated by vacuum connected to the #3 intake. The diaphram has failed and raw fuel is being drawn straight to the cylinder. A failed petcock diaphram will allow gas to run to the #3 intake even with the engine off. fuel will get in the cylinder and can at the very
      least seep into the crank case, diluting the oil. At worst the combustion chamber may hold enough fuel to fill and bend a rod if the other cylinders fire on the first attempt. causing major crank/rod/engine damage.

Took me a long time to figure this one out. The diaphram only cost $9.Took the carbs off and rebuilt them twice. I took the head off thinking I had broken valves or hole in the piston. Finally picking up the fuel tank to re-install it and fuel was leaking out of the vacuum line onto the garage floor.

Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekofMaldon View Post
        I know this is a late post. But maybe it will help those searching the archives.
        If the#3 cylinder is not firing, no spark, Wet plug, Heavy smell of gas at the tail pipe.

Took me a long time to figure this one out. The diaphram only cost $9.Took the carbs off and rebuilt them twice. I took the head off thinking I had broken valves or hole in the piston. Finally picking up the fuel tank to re-install it and fuel was leaking out of the vacuum line onto the garage floor.

Good Luck.
        If you had found this site earlier (and found the common petcock problem), you would have missed all the experience you got pulling the carbs! But please note that CV carbs tend to get their vacuum off #2 carb, while the older VM got it off #3. That assumes that #4 carb is under your throttle hand.
        Diaphram for $9 ???? I'm tempted to try fixing mine, despite all that I've read here- I must be feverish!
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by DerekofMaldon View Post
          The fuel valve/petcock is operated by vacuum connected to the #3 intake. The diaphram has failed and raw fuel is being drawn straight to the cylinder. A failed petcock diaphram will allow gas to run to the #3 intake even with the engine off. fuel will get in the cylinder and can at the very
          least seep into the crank case, diluting the oil. At worst the combustion chamber may hold enough fuel to fill and bend a rod if the other cylinders fire on the first attempt. causing major crank/rod/engine damage.

Good Luck.
          Wrong carbs, BS series vacuum is on carb #2
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X