GS spin-on oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS spin-on oil filter?

Has anyone ever tried to engineer one? The one thing I truly hate about the bike I love is changing the filter. My engine has 3x bolts, no studs, so keeping the o-ring in place while seating the cover can be a challenge.

Looking at the setup, it seems like a plate could be installed where the cover sits, and a pipe run out from where the filter mounts. I suppose the main difficulty would be in threading the inner part, getting the nipple portion the right length, as well as cutting the groove for the o-ring. It's likely beyond my ability, but I'd pay to buy one if it existed.

Have you considered buying new studs?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Have you considered buying new studs?
      What, and take away the challenge of engineering a fix? Of course, I'd go for the thick grease to hold the o-ring before I contemplated anything complicated.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

try leaving o-ring under a heavy book for a few days this way its nice and flat. makes it much easier to do the work.

Comment

I use a couple very small dabs of super glue to hold the o-ring in place while fitting. Works like a charm.

Chris

Comment

I'm going to invest in a set of 6mm studs for next time.

Comment

They are a bit of an odd length but Suzuki still stock them....
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I just put a few dabs of Three Bond in the groove and install the oring and let the cover sit on it while i am draining the pan. It holds the oring in place so you can install the cover with no problems. When its time to change the oring the Three Bond peels out just fine. Clean the cover with some rubbing alcohol to clean the groove and your all set. And you dont need to change the oring at every change... good for maybe 3 changes or until it starts to leak.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Just fill the channel with dielectric grease and put the gasket in, wipe off some of the excess grease. It will stay put and be re-useable. I'm collecting a lot of spare gaskets.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                    Just fill the channel with dielectric grease and put the gasket in, wipe off some of the excess grease. It will stay put and be re-useable. I'm collecting a lot of spare gaskets.
                    I'm using axle grease on mine.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

The consensus seems to be that it's easier to live with the cartridge filter system rather than engineer a spin-on filter.

On the serious side, the roller bearing engines use very little oil pressure, and it's likely this would not work with spin-on filters. Plus, the added plumbing required would be a further restriction.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by GS1000G Shopper View Post
                        I'm going to invest in a set of 6mm studs for next time.
                        Order two sets. They're only, what, a buck and a half each? Stick 'em in your parts stash. You'll need 'em someday.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                        X