Clutch does not Disengage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch does not Disengage

Hello - I'm a new member but have been searching and reading forums. Great info, but nothing seems to fit my case.

I bought my '77 GS750 as a "Project Bike" in a box. Was told that the bottom end had been "done" so I focused on the top end. Got it up and running. I've had clutch or transmition problems from the get go. Shop I bought it from it out of business (surprise) so no help there.

First problem. The clutch does not completely disengage with the lever pulled. I can sit at a stop light, but have to fether the gas to keep it going. Some times hard to start unless it is in neutral. Hard to get into neutral. Tried to adjust the clutch. If I adjust it so it is free to spin on the stand, the clutch slips when I ride. If tightened so it wont slip, it does not disengage. When idling on center stand in neutral with clutch in I shift into first, clunck and the wheel starts spinning. Clutch also disengages very close to the start of the pull on the lever, so it seems lile there is a lot of pull that is not doing anything.

Not sure if they did any mods to the clutch before I bought it. I probably wouldn't recognize mods from stock inside the clutch if they did. Also, clutch lever seems hard to pull but don't have any frame of reference. My hand gets pretty tired after a ride, and not being able to find neutral does not help. Clutch cable has been replaced.

Oil for first three changes was Castrol Power Racing 4T Synthetic. Now it's standard Castrol 4T 10-40 and has been for 3-4 changes. I'm new to motorcycles. This is my first one. So, I'm willing to look, but was wondering where to go from here.

Thanks

What shape is the clutch basket in? If the tabs on the fibers have worn grooves into the aluminum the plates wont full disengae themselves even if the lever is pulled. Just went thru this with the 82 1100 I sold to Stalgrau330. Also is the cable in good shape and not frazzled on the ends or possibly stretched?
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'm not sure. I've never opened a motorcycle clutch before. I guess it's time I did. I'll take a crack at it and see how it looks. The cable is new.
      Thanks.

Comment

Im not saying thats the problem...just posing the possibility. So its a new cable. Are you sure you have it adjusted properly? That may also be the problem and you wont need to open up the cover.. You can call me anytime and we can discuss I will PM you my number...
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

worm gear adjustment on the sprocket cover.
          loosin nut run screw in till touches...back out a turn or so...jam nut down.
          adjust hand lever to suit your liking.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
            worm gear adjustment on the sprocket cover.
            loosin nut run screw in till touches...back out a turn or so...jam nut down.
            adjust hand lever to suit your liking.
            This is correct, but you really need to remove the worm gear, clean it thoroughly, relube and reassemble. Start with a known good system and your results will be more favorable.

Comment

Yep. New cable adjusted as described in Clymers. I played with that a little (more and less tension) and that's where I ran into the slipping. I'm due to change the oil again. Waiting for a filter. As soon as i do that I'll try adjusting again. If that does not work I'll look into the clutch. Thanks!

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Im not saying thats the problem...just posing the possibility. So its a new cable. Are you sure you have it adjusted properly? That may also be the problem and you wont need to open up the cover.. You can call me anytime and we can discuss I will PM you my number...

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I was just wondering if this ever got resolved.

I am having similar issues, but not quite as bad.

Also, I have been looking all over the site as well as my Clymer's manual, but I can't seem to find very much info on the "worm gear." Does any one have a photo of one or a tutorial on how to adjust it. Even just a description of exactly where it is.

Comment

This is your 79 850 ?? I think your clutch release is different from his -but I often get confused. Basscliff's site should offer some clues. attached is a too small pic of clutch/clutch release scheme. Does your clutch cable end at a lever on top of right crankcase cover?
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ya, It's on top of the right crank case. That means it's different? I figured all of the older similar engine sized models (pre cv carb) would be similar. I know that the smaller displacement engines have a different clutch, but the 750 and 850 are basically the same engine right?

Comment

The 79 850's had the VM carbs (changed to cv in 80), but the shaft drive trans called for different layout. That pivot lever that cable attaches to moves a rack gear that releases clutch spring pressure- if you replaced cable or took off cover to inspect clutch plates, things might have gotten out of a sweet spot.You might have to unbolt the lever, and reposition it on the spline, so it has enough travel to release clutch, yet not let clutch slip. Best to disconnect cable; push on lever with hand, when you feel resistance, you want the lever to be pointing sorta towards front- this gives it just enough travel to fully release clutch- then reconnect cable and adjust it to suit this lever position. A 850 owner like Basscliff will find you soon.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I just bought a new Suzuki clutch cable. I know clutches never really completely disengage which is not a problem once the engine is worn. It's the fact that it engages (goes into gear) right at the end of the levers throw. (Pretty much the same issues as this thread was about) so I feel like it may be slightly slipping? I don't know as I just bought the bike and I don't know how it's supposed to feel. My Yamaha I have it adjusted so it engages about half way back. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I guess I should open her up and have a look, but I just changed the oil and really don't want to have to cough up the cash just to have a look.

Comment

Play with cable first- bearing in mind the pivot lever stuff. On the kickstand, oil runs to other side, so very little should fall out if you pull cover off, but the gasket might not be salvageable.

Basscliff has 80 850, have you perused his site- follow the link?
                          Last edited by tom203; 04-25-2012, 05:34 PM. Reason: info
                          1981 gs650L

Comment

I finally got the OEM cable in. Oiled it, Installed it, and clutch works like it should!!! I never thought the cable could make that much of a difference.

Comment

Working...
                            X