550 rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

550 rebuild?

The more time I spend with my GS the more I love it, but she burns oil... So I know it's only a matter of time before she dies.

I found a complete running bike very near me for $200, missing the title. I'm thinking about picking it up and pulling the engine for a rebuild. Is it really even worth it? What kind of realistic budget would I need for a rebuild, assuming I do everything but machine work and bottom end assembly on my own?

Originally posted by Pendulum View Post
    The more time I spend with my GS the more I love it, but she burns oil... So I know it's only a matter of time before she dies.
    You did realize you were buying an air-cooled motorcycle, right?

All motors will die, eventually - of course. Burning a little oil does not mean that moment is pending. Is it visible smoke or just a propensity for needing to add more oil? The motor could run for a very long time with leaking valve stem seals, for example.

I found a complete running bike very near me for $200, missing the title. I'm thinking about picking it up and pulling the engine for a rebuild. Is it really even worth it? What kind of realistic budget would I need for a rebuild, assuming I do everything but machine work and bottom end assembly on my own?
    Never hurts to have spare parts. Is it the correct year/model?

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
      You did realize you were buying an air-cooled motorcycle, right?

All motors will die, eventually - of course. Burning a little oil does not mean that moment is pending. Is it visible smoke or just a propensity for needing to add more oil? The motor could run for a very long time with leaking valve stem seals, for example.

Never hurts to have spare parts. Is it the correct year/model?
      I've got a 79, the bike I'm thinking about buying is a 78. I know I should be burning a little oil, but this seems excessive. I've also got an oil leak but since this is my only transportation, I'm nervous about tearing into it to fix it, for fear of breaking something/needing a part.

Maybe I'll buy this other one and sell everything I don't need... I'll probably come close to breaking even I'd think.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-13-2011, 02:58 PM.

Comment

I've got a 79, the bike I'm thinking about buying is a 78. I know I should be burning a little oil, but this seems excessive. I've also got an oil leak but since this is my only transportation, I'm nervous about tearing into it to fix it, for fear of breaking something/needing a part.

Maybe I'll buy this other one and sell everything I don't need... I'll probably come close to breaking even I'd think.
        Well the motor parts between 78 and 79 should be swappable no problem, so it does seem like a pretty good investment. If you can get the 78 running right you can swap whole motors.

Comment

Working...
        X