No announcement yet.

Loose marbles noise in GS 1000 engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John FYI I tried to repair my starter clutch as well when my bolts first sheared off. I even bought new springs and rollers, only to have it come apart 2 more times. I finally gave in and bought a new unit and never had another failure. There are a bunch of threads on this

Comment

stator looks fine !

Comment

Hi,

In this picture it looks like the windings on a couple of poles in the upper right quadrant are starting to melt the insulation. Don't you think?

It's not totally fried, like this one...

...but yours looks like it has been running hot. What are the output voltages? Keep an eye on your charging system by monitoring the battery voltages once in a while. And clean all the connections and grounds!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

John, I have seen a lot of stators. Your stator is on its last leg(s). Do yourself a favor and replace it while you are putting everything back together. There is an eBay seller that sells them for $90 shipped. And get a Honda R/R while you are at it. Expensive, but necessary.

Comment

If it tests out ok, I would just go ahead and use it if you plan on using a quality R/R. That is caused by a bad R/R that has been allowing too much voltage. Mine is the same color. I think I caught it just in time, switched over to a Compu-Fire, and it is still kicking and even running some additional heating gear in the winter. It's all about how well the regulator does it's job. That one has been overheated. The insulation hasn't necessarily started to break down yet, but it won't take any more abuse.
            Last edited by OldVet66; 09-23-2011, 06:49 AM.
            http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
              If it tests out ok, I would just go ahead and use it if you plan on using a quality R/R. That is caused by a bad R/R that has been allowing too much voltage. Mine is the same color. I think I caught it just in time, switched over to a Compu-Fire, and it is still kicking and even running some additional heating gear in the winter. It's all about how well the regulator does it's job. That one has been overheated. The insulation hasn't necessarily started to break down yet, but it won't take any more abuse.
              I suppose this regulator will do?
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT.
              sigpicJohn Kat
              My bikes: CB 77, GS 1000 ST Cafe Racer with GSXR 1052 engine, GS 1000 ST, XR 41 Replica with GS 1085 engine,
              GS 1100 SZ Katana with GS 1135 EFF engine, KTM Superduke 1290 R 2020

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by John Kat View Post
                Yes, that certainly will do. But most of us have been able to pick up a similar used r/r unit for less than half the price. Others don't like taking a chance on used electrical parts. It's up to you. But that is a nice unit.

You'll find a list of other compatible r/r units on my website in the Electrical Odds and Ends section.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm guessing that it would do just fine but at that price you are about $45.00 from a Compu-Fire 55402, that switches off instead of shunting to ground when no more charging is needed at that particular point in time. The result is a cooler stator, cooler oil, and higher charging rates at lower RPMs when needed. The only thing that can't be said about it is the test of time since it is fairly new on the scene, being used on our bikes. I haven't heard of any failures yet, and if I'm running a stator that by other peoples experience indicates it should be replaced, with excellent results, that's another point in it's favor as far as proving superior charging precision.
                  http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

RETRACT! RETRACT! RETRACT! Murphy must have been at my house when I posted last. This morning My bike didn't start as nicely as it usually does. I figured it was because it's been sitting in the garage because of rain. I tested the battery when I got to work, it was 11.2v, and not much better at 5000 rpm. I tested the stator, and it's finally given up. Between phases the highest ac voltage was 4.5, and between one set it was 1.1v. CHANGE THAT STATOR! I guess it was a gift that it has lasted as long as it has. koolaid kid was spot on.
                    Last edited by OldVet66; 09-24-2011, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I'm glad for this thread. I'm going to replace the starter clutch on my GS1000G when I return to Maine. I bought the Suzuki puller and the Suzuki rotor holder from part Shark and the clutch assemble (not the "kit") from them too. It was about $300.00 for the whole mess. The tool part numbers were from an 1100G. I hope they are the same. I do know that an 850 uses a different puller.

I was unable to pull up much on searches. I guess I just haven't figured it out yet.
                      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                      X