'80 GS750 Head gasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS750 Head gasket replacement

I finally got this beast running after it's been sitting up in a barn for 10+ years, only to find an oil leak in what I'm guessing is the head gasket?

It's dribbling out of the gasket right in the center of the top picture where the gasket has a lip hanging out.

Is that the head gasket?

If so, where can I buy a replacement and how difficult is it to replace? Any tutorials online?

Thanks!

Hi,

That's a valve cover gasket. Easy peazy. Have a look at my website. You might as well check the valve clearances while you have it open.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks! I looked around on your site but couldnt find the exact tutorial. Do you have a direct link? I pretty much get what I'm supposed to do, but would like a tutorial in case something unexpected comes along.

Do I need to drain the oil first? How do I check valve clearance?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by matteapolis View Post
        Thanks! I looked around on your site but couldnt find the exact tutorial. Do you have a direct link? I pretty much get what I'm supposed to do, but would like a tutorial in case something unexpected comes along.

Do I need to drain the oil first? How do I check valve clearance?

Thanks again!
        No need to drain the oil. Get a new valve cover gasket and do this.

Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Replacing a valve cover gasket is not difficult. OEM gaskets have shown consistent better performance over aftermarket. Finding someone to help you is impossible unless you update your UserCP so we know where you live. Plus, this is the proper time to check your valve clearances, a GS requirement.

Comment

If you do decide to adjust the valve's, let me give you a tip.

When ever you are first learning to use the valve shim tool, it tends to slip off the shim,, splattering oil all over. Well, if you take a shop vac and suck the oil from the cavity's around the shim's,,,there will be no more splatter.

I would go ahead and add a little oil back in though before you put the valve cover back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Quick Cal View Post
              If you do decide to adjust the valve's, let me give you a tip.

When ever you are first learning to use the valve shim tool, it tends to slip off the shim,, splattering oil all over. Well, if you take a shop vac and suck the oil from the cavity's around the shim's,,,there will be no more splatter.

I would go ahead and add a little oil back in though before you put the valve cover back on.
              An '80 750 is a tappet adjustment....no shims.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                An '80 750 is a tappet adjustment....no shims.
                DOH!!

Shows what I know. But hey, that tip could come in handy for guy's with shim's.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by matteapolis View Post
                  Thanks! I looked around on your site but couldnt find the exact tutorial. Do you have a direct link?
                  I would suggest having a look at all of the information available. You'll need it sooner or later. You'll find lots of pictures. In the 8-valve adjustment guide you'll see how to remove the valve cover/breather. In the 16-valve adjustment guide you will see how to adjust your valves. You are welcome to save the PDF files to your computer for later reference.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Before you pull the valve cover, purchase the valve cover gasket. While you are doing that, purchase also the 2 orings for the front, center 2 head nuts. You can pull the head nuts & replace the orings 1 at a time & retorque as you go with no problems. The oil leaks in the front of this engine, along with the 16 valve 1100 is, 90% of the time, due to those 2 orings. Do a valve adjustment while you are in there & 75 % of your maintenance troubles are fixed! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Before you pull the valve cover, purchase the valve cover gasket. While you are doing that, purchase also the 2 orings for the front, center 2 head nuts. You can pull the head nuts & replace the orings 1 at a time & retorque as you go with no problems. The oil leaks in the front of this engine, along with the 16 valve 1100 is, 90% of the time, due to those 2 orings. Do a valve adjustment while you are in there & 75 % of your maintenance troubles are fixed! Ray.
                      I have an oil leak on the front of my engine and would like to try replacing these orings you mention when I do the valves, but can't find them on Z1... do you know what they are called, or where to find them?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by brendanGS850 View Post
                        I have an oil leak on the front of my engine and would like to try replacing these orings you mention when I do the valves, but can't find them on Z1... do you know what they are called, or where to find them?

Thanks.
                        You have a different design head on the 850 Brendan and those O rings aren't used.
                        79 GS1000S
                        79 GS1000S (another one)
                        80 GSX750
                        80 GS550
                        80 CB650 cafe racer
                        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
                        X