1981 GS850 engine noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS850 engine noise

My bike has been running amazing all summer and still does but I have a noise in the engine which ticks only under load. Idle there is nothing but as soon as there is a load on the motor it is a continuous tick. I synced the carbs to make sure it wasn't from calibration and from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be running lean. My air box is sealed with black rtv and all of the boots are new on both sides of the carbs and the floats are within specs. I have dipped that carbs and had everything disassembled as this website states. What bothers me is that it runs so good yet the noise is annoying and I am worried it is something wearing. Could it be from the timing chain tensioner? Any ideas?

Jon

Yes, could be the tensioner.

How long has it been since your last valve adjustment?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A "tick" only when under load could also be a leaking exhaust gasket.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Yes, could be the tensioner.

How long has it been since your last valve adjustment?
        About 1300 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          A "tick" only when under load could also be a leaking exhaust gasket.

I took a Windex bottle and sprayed around the exhaust and no bubbles other than down where my collecter pipe is but that was an easy fix with my clarke 80 stick welder, so I know it isn't an exhaust gasket. Tomorrow I am going to take off the timing chain tensioner and check it other than that I am stumped. I just hope something in the cam region didn't rattle loose.

Comment

I took cam tensioner out and it works great. It had a couple pits on the angled piece but nothing serious. I took a grinder to it just to make sure. I also checked the floats and the airbox again since I had to take the carbs off them to get to the tensioner. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to take the valve cover off and inspect. If I get time this weekend I am going to go that route. If anyone has any other ideas let me know. It just runs too darn good. I am puzzled.

Comment

The valves are all within spec and the cam tensioner is working perfectly. I also check the chain slack and it is still within spec. I am lost. I started the bike with the valve cover off and it is defiantly getting oil :-). This noise is bothering me. It just runs too darn good. I think I am going to go back and see if I can get the exhaust off carefully and inspect it, the threads are in real bad shape for the header bolts.

Comment

Hi,

I don't know how you'd test, but I've heard a sticky shim bucket make some racket when off idle. I also thought about a busted valve spring, but that is exceedingly rare.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have a bleeping header stuck, how do I get it off without damaging it. I am leaning towards the leaky exhaust gasket even though I am not getting any bubbles so I ordered new gaskets and bought new hardware for the flange bolts. If this fixes it then I owe steve a cold one. I got to thinking the noise didn't get worse until I put the oem pipes on and rode it for a while vs the stupid ones that the previous owner put on which were cut to make it sound "cool" (more like crap). I am going to attempt again tomorrow to get the last header off it is late and I don't want to forcible break anything when im tired and angry.

Comment

Steve you win a cold one on me. A bolt on cyl 4 was too long and the crush washer wasn't seating right. At least I know for a fact my valve clearances are correct and my timing chain tensioner is perfect. Here is a sweet vid of pure awesomeness. Chalk another for gsresources :-)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                    X