Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine stand?

First off, when I attempt to search 'engine stand' I get this:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /home/thegsres/public_html/_forum/search.php on line 1160

If anyone can explain that, that'd be awesome.

What this thread is really about though is to ask if anyone has any information on using an engine stand. It's coming up on the colder months and I'd like to be able to get the engine up and being worked on. Thanks gs-ers.

Take an old non-titled frame and cut it to fit.
    Then, weld it to a 18" X 18" , or close, flat piece of 3/16" steel plate.
    I just placed my 1100ED engine in it this morning or I would have a better picture.
    This is with an 1100G engine in it:

Daniel

Comment

Wow, that's a great idea, though I don't have an old frame I could use...

Comment

I would stick the bigger 1000cc frame if you were going to make a stand, you could always make brackets to accomodate the smaller engines.
        1978 GS550 E
        673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
        New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
        for playing in the dirt

Comment

Highway, that IS the engine from your GK shown in that pic.
          The stand is from a '78-81 GS1000 frame.
          To make the 1100ED engine fit, I had to remove the lower cradle engine mounts.
          As for making different engines fit, I have an entire box filled with mounts/bolts from different models to mix and match to make them fit in it.
          I have a couple of '79 1000L frames that I could cut up if someone needs one.

Daniel

Comment

I have seen a "normal" automotive engine stand with adapters to mount a GS engine. Seems like this one had a 750 Engine on it IIRC. The engine stands are cheap from Harbor Freight, but the adapters would need to be fabricated.

Comment

This is one we made for the busa motor. Bought a cheap auto stand and reworked the head piece.

Speed Merchant
              http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

I was considering a cheap HF stand and trying to make it work but wasn't sure if it'd be efficient enough. Would you just bolt one side then?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Jay View Post
                  This is one we made for the busa motor. Bought a cheap auto stand and reworked the head piece.

This one is made so you can put the top half of the case in upside down. The bracket on the top is for holding it. Uses a bolt for adjustment.

After the crank and and tranny, etc is installed, pup the bottom on, then rotate it 180 and finish assembly
                  Speed Merchant
                  http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Working...
                  X