Ideas for stripped threads on camcover bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for stripped threads on camcover bolt

I have a 77 GS 550 that I rebuilding and after adjusting the valves and replacing the cam cover gasket, I noticed that the front cam cover bolt (#1 exhaust) is stripped and because it won't tighten, is leaking oil.

Anyone have a tip on how to fix this with out too much trouble?
    GS Score Card
    4-400 Series GS's
    3-500 Series
    1-600 Series
    1-700 Series
    4-800 Series
    1-1000 Series
    2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
    sigpic

Timecert sounds like the best bet

Comment

not sure what a Timecert is?? Like a helicoil?
      GS Score Card
      4-400 Series GS's
      3-500 Series
      1-600 Series
      1-700 Series
      4-800 Series
      1-1000 Series
      2-1100 series 1982 GS1100G In stable now
      sigpic

Comment

Same idea as a helicoil, but a solid insert, as opposed to the wire of a helicoil type

Comment

helicoils have always worked for me (and they are relatively cheap once you have the kit). The SS coil probably fuses itself to the aluminum and I have never had one back out. The Timcert would need a really big drill to make a big enough hole and that is always worrysome with an aluminum engine with so many bolts (busting through to someplace you don't want to go). For a small block V-8 fine , but to me a Timecert is overkill for this application (less than 10 ft lbs)

Comment

threaded inserts threaded, stripped threads, threaded inserts, blown out sparkplugs, stripped threads, stripped out theads, inserts threaded inserts, ford sparkplug repair, threaded insert thread repair spark plug ford blown, blew out ford sparkplug, stripped theads, threads stripped out, threaded inserts for stripped threads, repairing stripped threads, thread repair kits and inserts, repairing sparkplugs threads, sparkplugs threads have stripped out, screw thread inserts, striped out threads, threaded inserts, automobile threads blown out, motorcycle threads stripped out threads, not helicoil use time-sert thread repair, screw thread insert, inserts for screw threads, screw thead inserts have stripped out

I agree with Jim (posplayr) a heli-coil should be more than sufficient for that repair. You can get them at most auto parts stores...

be sure to use the exact specified size drill when opening up the hole - you may have to purchase the drill bit separately, depending on the quality of the kit you buy.
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
            '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD
            '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

1/4-20 SAE.
              it will self tap.
              its not brain surgery.

Comment

Be careful with any of the methods listed. The material is easily cracked.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                  1/4-20 SAE.
                  it will self tap.
                  its not brain surgery.
                  This is why I like threading aluminum!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                    1/4-20 SAE.
                    it will self tap.
                    its not brain surgery.
                    I've got 4 of these on my bike. 10k miles later and all is well.
                    Back it in and out a few times. Feel for the limit. Don't torque
                    it to spec.

Comment

Yep, 1/4-20 is the easiest fix. If you get a self tapping bolt it's even better.

Comment

Some PO put a 1/4-20 in my 1000G, and it wasn't working well. I pulled the remains of some of the threads out of the hole when I got the bike and put an M6 back in. That particular hole has let go almost completely. I don't have much confidence in 0.35 mm more screw diameter doing me much good.

Still if it works for others... It just seems to me like one of those YMMV sort of things.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

its a valve cover bolt that torks@ 90-100 inch pounds.
                          its not going any where.
                          hell i use them on cam caps when i'm in a pinch(drag strip ect..)....same tork specs.

Comment

Working...
                          X