Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 Front wheel/spacer assembly help

Hello,
    I am in the process of putting double disc front brakes on my GS450. Im using the CBR rotors, dual-piston calipers, and the forks/wheel/triple tree from a GS650. I have the rotors on the wheel, but im not sure about the spacers, I don't know what im missing in the GS650 axle assembly. it didn't come with the speedo unfortunately. can any one help me determine what I need in terms of spacer etc.. for the front axle? I assume the top hat looking piece goes through the left side fork bottom where the axle passes?

It goes the other way around, on the inside of the fork leg. The flange is a dust shield for the bearing. Get one of those for the other side and you should be right I think as long as the bearing on the speedo side is the same distance from wheel centreline as that side...

Edit:

Looking at what you have there... If the spacer fits in the fork like that then you have the wrong size axle and bearings for those forks. The axle should be the same size diameter as that spacer by the looks of it.
    Last edited by salty_monk; 10-14-2011, 06:07 PM.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks! The axle just barely squeezes through that spacer. The axle seems to fit nicely through the right fork leg, but there alot of extra room where the axle goes through the left fork, which was why I guessed the spacer goes inside there. Im very confused, the axle came with the wheel, and i got the forks separate.

Comment

Yes, there is another spacer that goes in that side if I remember correctly. It has a small flange. Look at the parts fiche for the 650 on Bikebandit,... You'll see it.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Shoot, no wIm going to have to wait to get that part. bike bandit didnt have the GS650 schematic for some reason, but I can see the part here,

Comment

You can see here in this 650 schematic, you shor the smaller spacer that goes between the left fork and the speedo drive, that top hat tuype spacer you have there goes between the right hand fork and the wheel, with the "head" up against the bearing, seen here, and as Salty Monk said.
            There should also be two more spacers that slide over tha axle and get clamped in the forks, one on each side.

Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2011, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks! Think I got it, but do I need a "wheel hub cover"

Comment

That's a plastic blanking plate for one side. Only seen in single rotor models. I believe you are fitting dual rotors so no... You don't need that part.

Part 10 has to be cut down 4-5mm to work or it will bind. I cut it with a hacksaw and file smooth.

If you are using a spacer instead of a speedo drive you dont need part 10 at all.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                X