clutch compatability with synth oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch compatability with synth oil?

I just got a 74 suzuki ts185 for 200 bucks. Just finishing off my gs 1100 project and got into this one. Dont surf craigslist if you want to save your money. I couldnt resist because I had a tc 90 in my youth. This one is in pretty good shape except the p.o. says he put synthetic oil in the trans and it made the clutch plates swell up. Im getting ready to diamantle it but was wondering is this something anyone has heard of? Dont want to make that mistake on my gs.

no takers? at least a "nope never heard of it" Btw, I do use the search function, but its still like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Comment

As long as the synthetic oil is not "energy conserving", it is fine. If he put energy conserving oil in, it will have a detrimental affect on the clutch due to friction modifiers in it.

You want oil (synthetic, dino, or a blend) that has the lower half of the circle left blank.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

thanks. I usually dont care for "energy" conserving, or "green" unless it saves me money w/o compromising performance.

Comment

Originally posted by snicrep5 View Post
          thanks. I usually dont care for "energy" conserving, or "green" unless it saves me money w/o compromising performance.
          in the case of a wet clutch it will definitely compromise performance. As in the clutch plates will have to be replaced if left in there too long. I have always run full synthetic (Rotella T6) in all my bikes from high revving v4s to low revving v2 and all the i4 as well as singles and have never had one complaint.

Comment

+1 on synthetic Rotella T6, works great and has no effect on clutch engagement. Also gives you a little more heat protection if you get caught in a long traffic jam, but you can read about that in all the threads where we argue about the "best" oil.

Comment

Working...
            X