Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on valve adj / clearance GS850

82 GS 850

I went through all valve adj & checked clearance. One of the exhaust clearance between cam & shim is .2mm. I ordered the shim I need to replace it as spec is .03-.08...so my question is would it do any damage to run the bike with .2mm clearance until I get the correct shim?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 08:57 PM.

Did you get that .2mm consistently? It's possible that a small piece of crud got in the valve seat, holding the valve open a bit.

It is precisely for that reason that I will usually check all the valves, then go back and check them again to make sure I get the same readings.

Will you do any damage? Not sure, but that's a LOT more clearance than any of us are willing to run intentionally.

Just keep in mind that is the clearance while the engine is COLD. Due to the different expansion of aluminum and steel, there is no telling what the clearance is while at operating temperature. It might open up a bit, possibly leading to problems.

On the other hand, it didn't cause any damage before you measured it and realized the clearance, did it?

Now that you have done all the "hard" work, you want a handy place to store your information that might help for the next adjustment?
    Consider the invite in my sig.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did the valve adj and all are in spec now, but was short a shim of correct size for that tappet, the original measurement on that valve was well under .03, I only have a shim that puts it to .2 until the correct shim I ordered for it arrives, should have the correct shim by next week but am scheduled for a trip this weekend (about 120 miles) and was just wondering if I could get by for that trip with one tappet at .2

PS, sent request for the spreadsheet, thank you!
      Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM.

Comment

.02 should be fine... for the weekend

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          .02 should be fine... for the weekend
          Lynn, he did not have a zero in there, he keeps saying ".2".

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Why wait? Can't you go to a bike shop and get the shim? It might be a little more expensive, but you've already got it apart, right? It's not worth taking a chance. If the clearance is .2, not .02, you could spit the shim out and do all sorts of damage. When I did it, the Suzuki shop swapped out the shim. No charge.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
              Why wait? Can't you go to a bike shop and get the shim? It might be a little more expensive, but you've already got it apart, right? It's not worth taking a chance. If the clearance is .2, not .02, you could spit the shim out and do all sorts of damage. When I did it, the Suzuki shop swapped out the shim. No charge.
              Thanks, not a bad idea, I just have to find a Suzuki dealer around here, not sure if there is one.

Comment

Where in NJ are you? I have a box of assorted shims that I got from Z1 (so I wouldn't have to order and wait for specific shims every time I did a valve adjust) and I am willing to trade one for another

Of course due to absurd amounts of schoolwork I still have to get done before my mid-semester presentation on Monday, it's unlikely that I'd be able to escape until at least Tuesday or so.

You really don't have any shims to get in nearer to .08? It seems hugely open to me.

I wouldn't run the bike until it's adjusted a bit closer.

Comment

What shim is in there and what do you have to put in to get .2mm?? That's a huge gap in sizes. You don't have one you can move from another bucket and put the one you have left over to get closer in ranges?

Yeah, .10 is prolly ok, Kurt has said "Pastor Suzuki" (his go to road racing oldschool guru) has said they purposely ran as loose as .15 without floating a shim out of the bucket, but .2 is wayyyyyy loose. I'd be afraid you'd either have to baby the hell out of it for a few thousand miles til that valve recessed enough to be closer to spec, or the first time you spun it over 5k rpm thered follow a nasty noise from the top end...

What size do you need? Steve and I have a boatload of shims here...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                    What size do you need? Steve and I have a boatload of shims here...
                    Did you start another stash?

I have the box with me.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

If it is .2 he has a valve not closing !!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Did you start another stash?

I have the box with me.

Do ya? I didn't look, just the last place I remembered seeing it was here. I do have a few that aren't in the box but they're big'uns. 2.7 and larger.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          If it is .2 he has a valve not closing !!
                          That possibility was mentioned in my first reply to him.
                          Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          Did you get that .2mm consistently? It's possible that a small piece of crud got in the valve seat, holding the valve open a bit.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

TimTom, thanks for the offer.
                            I went searching high and low last night and this morning, checked like a dozen places before I found it. A small bike shop who had the 2.55 that I needed. Just got the bike all buttoned up and back running.

The guy I found who had the shim has a hugh box of them. He had to go searching for them because he said he hadn't the need to use older style shims in years. Maybe I go back and try to buy him out for the rest of them

As usual, you guys are a big help and I thank you!

Comment

Did you get the chance to verify that it is a SUZUKI shim?

I ask because Kawasaki and some Yamaha shims are 29.0mm in diameter, Suzuki shims are 29.5mm, which is hard to tell with the naked eye.

Good to hear that you are up and running, though.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X