Rebuild advice for 82 GS1100EZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebuild advice for 82 GS1100EZ

Although I have been sporadically following posts in this forum, I now find myself in need of advice on the rebuild of my 82 GS1100EZ project motor. The engine is at the shop where the mechanic is tearing it apart. I would like to come up with a plan for a moderate power increase while maintaining dependability for street riding. I am planning to run a 4 into 1 exhaust and pod filters. The stock cams are in good condition but I'm looking for a balanced approach to add some power and if new cams are in order, I'll spring for them. Recommendations for carbs, cams, bore kit, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Since I'm tearing the motor completely down, I don't want to skimp on quality parts now.

I don't want to go to big on the bore in case it would affect the rideability and cause overheating issues. I would be extremely grateful for any recommendations on kits others recommend from APE, GAST, etc.

Thanks, Keith

1168 low compression pistons 345 cams good valve springs would make for a strong reliable engine. The machine work and ring fitting are key to good results.
    sigpic1982 gs750e 1186 oil cooled engine USD front mono shock rear
    1994 gsxr1100w
    1981 gs1260dragbike (this one I've owned for29yrs)

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I looked at the APE 1168 kit which comes with 348 cams. The price seems reasonable. I'm assuming a dynajet kit for the carbs and a matching dyna ignition would work. Should I be looking at the stage 1 or stage 3 kit for the carbs with this setup? Thanks again.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. kbitzel,

With pipes and pods you'll want the Stage 3 kit. If you post in the "Performance" section you may get responses from rapidray, chef1366, and others who are into all of the "go fast" parts.

Anyway, let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks very much for the welcome and the incredible information. I have some reading and research to do. I'll send pics as I progress, right now it's just a frame on the floor!

Comment

Possible overheating would depend on where you live, what kind of climate.
            I would definatly check the springs and backing plate on the back of the outer clutch basket, a HD clutch rebuild is a good idea as well as a HD hub nut, both available at APE. New clutch plates and HD springs to withstand the extra power maybe.

Comment

I've literally built hundreds of these. Call me at 714--356-7845. 140 HP at the rear wheel with cross country reliability is easy. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray, I'll give you a call.

Comment

It was good talking with you Keith. Call me anytime you have more questions. Ray.

Comment

I've already begun the search for some Mikuni RS 36mm carbs. I also checked out Carolina Cycles website and will be contacting them this week. Your advice was excellent and much appreciated.
                    I didn't see any listings on ebay or dragbike, but found some new carbs listed by "Dynoman". I think the set of four were $700 with free shipping. Any experience with this vendor? Thanks again, I'm sure I'll be bugging you again. Keith

Comment

See below\/\/\/\/\/
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by kbitzel View Post
                        The engine is at the shop where the mechanic is tearing it apart.
                        Does it have a welded crank ? A lot of early EZs did not and suffered from twisted cranks.
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you really want to hot rod a GS1100 then your headed in the right direction.

On a reality check note: Be prepared to spend a lot of money if your not going to be doing your own wrenching. I would say $2000 on the cheap end of things and you could easily go over $3500 for all the bells and whistles including lower end, HD clutch, and welded crank and you would still be stuck with 80s era handling.

If you just want to go a lot faster and stop a lot better on the street, you would be better off buying a year 2001 or higher Bandit or FZ1 or ZRX and keep the GS stock as a second bike. You could find any of those bikes with low miles (under 10K) for $3K. Then you would have the handling and brakes to match the power. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm operating under the same budget as I have for my other "restorations" which is to figure out what I think it will cost, then triple it! I know the bike will still be a 82 GS1100 but that's what I['m looking for. I bought it for $200 and I enjoy the process of making it nice again. The hot rodding is just for a little extra zip since it needs a total rebuild anyway. It was showing 89K on the odo and still had the stock exhaust and airbox. Even a litlle rack on the back. I'm going to check the crank and have it welded if it isn't.

For modern handling and such, I do have a 2000 Triumph Speed Triple with a power commander and modest other mods and a 2001 ZRX1200R with Ivan's Performance mods.

I am curious if anyone has dealt with "Dynoman" before I contact him about the Mikunis. I didnt' see him on the watch list for deadbeat vendors. This site and the people are an excellent source of information.
                            Thanks,

Keith

Comment

check these folks out.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X