GS673 VS Tuned CB750 Thoughts please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS673 VS Tuned CB750 Thoughts please?

Recently I have noticed more and more guys converting old CB750's into cafe/race styled bikes. I must say that some of these creations are pretty neat. Last summer an acquaintance of mine boasted no other vintage bike in the area could out perform a tuned CB750. This got me thinking and for the past few months I have been doing research and collecting parts to build a GS to test his logic. Here is my theory please tell me what you think.

- base the build on a 550 as it is relatively small and will require less weight reduction than any other 4cyl GS.
    - Swap the cylinders and head form a 650 onto the 550 block resulting in 673cc's mated to a 6 speed transmission. This will start me at ~78hp (very close to a stock CB) prior to tuning
    - construct an aluminum 1-4 air box sporting a K&N flter
    - Replace the heavier 4-2 exhaust with a new 4-1 system &correctly re-jet carbs
    - replace the nippon denso points with a Dyna 2000 kit & replace stock coils with 3 Ohm green dyna coils and wires to match.
    - replace lead acid with a dry-cell battery weighing 1.8lbs
    - fabricate a rear cowl to house all electronics
    - Upgrade to wire wheels with twin disc front
    - replace fork springs with progressive ones
    - Use front brakes from an 07 gsxr 1000, with matching master cylinder and steel braided lines.
    - run Avon Roadrider tires as I've found these to work quite well

There is definitely alot more that I cant think of right now but that is the outline. I feel that I need to prove that our zookies deserve recognition too, as I have such a respect and love for the brand.

Did you sneak a peek into my garage?
    You describe my new project very accurately.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Tell your buddy to put the crack pipe down first of all.

After '73 when Kawi rolled the Z1 out, the CB750 was toast. Period. Antequated technology. Slow, heavy, and not nearly as powerful as the 900cc Kaw monster (for the time, 900cc was huge)
      Fast forward four years..The Suzuki GS750 is unleashed on the world.
      While not as straight-line fast as the Z1, it wasn't off by much, and better still, it didn't have a hinge built into the middle of the frame. This bike could flat handle. And the Honda felt like it was built out of swizzle sticks. Believe me..I owned em.

From then on, Kawasaki and Suzuki duked it out in the cycle mags. Honda came in last in nearly every comparo. The only one I recall them winning was the 80 GS1100E vs the CBX. The CBX won, based on looks. Hard to blame em. Six pipes sure are sexy. And heavy. The CBX was dusted in every meaningful category.

So sure. You're giving up a few CCs. But you'll be lighter, stiffer chassis, and better suspension.
      Just don't make it a drag race. Throw some corners in there. You'll smoke em if you can ride at all.

Those Honda cafes are pretty, but they're all show and no go.

Comment

If I remember correctly the Honda CB750 was geared pretty high.
        But, it was a great bike as far as reliability and looks I thought,
        just a nice overall bike, no screamer though.
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Ha, I've tried working with this man before and we have TOTALLY different ideas of how things should be done. So we came to a mutual agreement that we would be fierce competitors. I feel it would be quite demoralizing to lose to a smaller bike, especially after making sure everyone in ear-shot Knows that Terrance Toolbag is the fastest and coolest guy on two wheels. I don't know what the layout of the track in Toronto is but if we run at Watkins glen I think i will do well. Even though his attitude says a lot about his engineering skills, I still want to go about this as if his "team" is a capable and formidable opponent. If all goes well I will accurately illustrate how far lip-service will take a man.

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
            Last summer an acquaintance of mine boasted no other vintage bike in the area could out perform a tuned CB750.
            Is that "era" or your local "area"?

Either way, shut 'im down!
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Did you sneak a peek into my garage?
              You describe my new project very accurately.
              Send me a PM, Ill show you mine if you show me yours?

Comment

Originally posted by ashdricky View Post
                Send me a PM, Ill show you mine if you show me yours?
                Mine is not much to look at yet...
                Picture a 550 frame here, a 650 engine over there in boxes, a couple 550 engines on the floor, most of a disassembled 550 in a few bins and tubs...
                Maybe this winter I'll get going on it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Despite all the history and rose tinted glasses the SOHC 750 was really a bit of a slug - not much faster in the real world than its little sister the CB550. A GS750 will leave one for dead and what you're knocking together will as well.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Doesn't the dyna 2000 call for 2.2ohm coils?
                    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
                    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

Comment

They are the matching coils (grey ones) but the 3ohm (green) ones will work too.
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes Salty Monk is right, I called Dynatek and they recommended 3ohm for my setup

Comment

Suzuki all the way ! Post vids if you get any, would love to see the battle.
                          1978 GS550 E
                          673cc swap / the hot rod

2013 GSXR
                          New daily rider

2012 RMZ450
                          for playing in the dirt

Comment

If he ever makes it to Indy, tell him to bring his bike. I have a vintage 750 that I would put against him. Not a GS, but he said "any" vintage bike.
                            I will even handicap myself further by putting a different rider on my bike, a friend of mine who goes by the handle bwringer.
                            Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I have a friend who has been playing with and tuning cb750's for years now. I once heard him say - " I used to ride old Hondas because I couldn't afford anything newer, now I ride old Hondas because I can't afford anything older."
                              According to him, he can coax around 80 rwhp out of one; but it'll be totally unstreetable.
                              -1980 GS1100 LT
                              -1975 Honda cb750K
                              -1972 Honda cl175
                              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Working...
                              X