dumb question, oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question, oil leak

I am not sure what they are technically called, on the side of the motor, up by the cams, are two small circle covers, and they are leaking a little oil.

Can i take them off, clean them, use a little gasket silicone and make new gaskets?

my bike is a 81 GS850G

The leak is underneath, to fix it you need to reseal or replace the half moon seals. Pop the little round cover off and see.
    Easy to do while you have the valve cover off to adjust the valves, which you need to do anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Yes, adjust the valves and seal the half moons before you install a new valve cover gasket. Simple as can be.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

im sure the answer is to use the search button, but can you point me towards a valve adjusting thread?

also can I use rtv to reseal or do i have to buy a gasket

thanks

Comment

RTV is bad news, some of the oil passages are much too tiny to withstand a few RTV turds floating around in there.
          Just get a new gasket once every twenty years or so.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by MikesChevelle View Post
            im sure the answer is to use the search button, but can you point me towards a valve adjusting thread?
            Back in your early days on the forum, did you get a "Welcome Page" from BassCliff?

Or just look for any of his posts, there is a link to his website in his signature.

If you are good, you will also notice that I have also given you the link.

His website is FULL of virtually anything you need to know about your bike, including valve adjustments.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thank you sir, what is the name of the gasket so I can see if the parts store has one

Comment

Hey Mike, remember that welcome post that Steve reminded you about? In it are links to various online parts fiches from different Suzuki dealers around the country. Go take a peek at them and you'll find everything you need.
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

You want a valve cover gasket and 4 cam end plugs (half-moons). It's all explained in pictures in the valve adjustment guide. Use the 8-valve procedure.

If you order parts from your local dealer, they'll just order from an OEM vendor and charge you two prices. You might as well order directly from partshark.com, z1enterprises.com, or other online OEM vendor.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

thanks gentlemen

Comment

Yep, I have done LOTS of business with Z1 since I started working on my bike. Good prices and fast shipping.

Comment

Working...
                      X