ratio opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ratio opinions?

Just purchased a 530 110l chain and 15/43 sprocket set for my GS750l. Current 630 set up is 15/38 which seems ok maybe a little lopey but still accelerates fine in top, maybe the 850 kit helps,.
    std gearing 15/41 gives 2.733 ratio,current 15/38 is 2.533,and new ones 15/43 give 2.867 but can get another front sprocket 16 tooth will give 2.688 and is hopefully what i will do if the chain is long enough
    Should I try for 17 front tooth which will raise gearing ever so slightly over existing 2.529 vs 2.533?
    Being new to owning a gs I do not know what to expect performance wise and just seeking some opinions on the matter. cheers all

My 79 750 with stock sprockets 15/41 placed the most vibration around 4500-4800 rpm which, was smack dab on the rpm I needed to cruise down the highway. I changed to the 15/38 ratio to move the vibration point above my most used rpm range. It made the bike more comfortable for extended riding. I would not use a gear ratio greater than 2.7 because of buzziness.

Earl
    Last edited by earlfor; 11-04-2011, 02:21 PM.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

You omitted the most important factor:
      What are you planning on using the bike for?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks guys, the bike will be a hack for commuting hauling tools to and from work and maybe the odd short trip.The current gearing seems fine .Did the 50km trip last nite at 1 in the morning and she was quite happy at around 110kph with the harsh period setting in just above that.Was tailgated by a Grandma in a pulsar who sailed past at 110 in the rain when i slowed for roadworks on the motorway.Was glad she was in front of me cause she wasn't slowing down for anything
        Picked up chain and sprockets last nite and will order a 16 tooth today.cheers all

Comment

Fitted chain and sprockets yesterday,calced chain length and just managed to squeeze in a 16t front sprocket.What a difference,still higher than stock but pulls comfortably in top from 50km/h and gives 100km/h at 4500rpm,and with new swingarm bearings has transformed its handling though it now highlights the front end deficiencies.Will fit new steering head and wheel bearings and change fork oil as soon as funds allow.Hopefully this will quell the feeling that a tank slapper is about to set in
          What grade fork oil do you guys and gals use?

Comment

It depends on your weight and riding style. I weigh 17 stone and sometimes ride a bit aggressively. I prefer 15W. Lighter and milder riders may prefer 10W. Again the manual is incorrect, do not use a mix of ATF (which has NO weight rating) and motor oil.

Comment

Originally posted by daturat100r View Post
              What grade fork oil do you guys and gals use?
              Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              It depends on your weight and riding style. I weigh 17 stone and sometimes ride a bit aggressively. I prefer 15W. Lighter and milder riders may prefer 10W.
              I must be one of those "milder" riders.

I am also 17 stone and prefer 10w fork oil.

Just remember that the fork oil does not hold up the front of the bike (the springs do that), nor does it prevent the forks from diving (the springs do that, too). All it does is slow down the reaction of the springs, so a heavier fork oil will only delay fork bottoming, not prevent it.

I found 15w oil to be too thick to allow the forks to move quickly enough to absorb the small irregularities in the road to the point of hurting my wrists on a longer ride. A simple switch to 10w oil fixed that. "Your mileage may vary."

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
              X