Backwards Clutch Issue Bike Doesn't Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backwards Clutch Issue Bike Doesn't Go

I did a search for clutch issues but just kept coming up with the same thing of the clutch does disengage the engine/transmission.

Today I was sitting at a red light in first gear. I thought it was going to turn green and started to go. It didn't turn green as fast I thought it should have. Once it turned green ( a second or two later) I let the clutch out and nothing happened. After a few seconds the bike started to go. It was like I was still holding the clutch in.

This is the first time that has happened. I haven't had a chance to look over the bike. Beyond a kinked cable what could this be? My clutch cable is not even a year old.

Kinked cable.

Jammed pivot at the release lever.

Weak clutch springs.

Worn out clutch disks.

Wrong oil.

Except for the first two, they would be happening gradually, so you should have noticed some signs before this.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I am glad to see we are on the same page of thought. It means I'm finally learning something.

On the springs though, wouldn't that cause it to not disengage? Mine didn't engage.
      I have a friend who swears my clutch slips. But it was when my motorcycle was behaving really bad due to an electrical issue. Other than that I haven't noticed anything.
      I have driven several other bikes. But not nearly as much as I have this one.

Comment

Weak springs will not press the disks together hard enough to transmit power.

When you pull the lever, you are compressing those springs to disengage the plates.

Have you noticed any slipping in higher gears? It is usually noticed when you are on the highway and need to pass somebody.
        You either twist the throttle, or downshift a gear or two, then twist the throttle, and it takes a bit before the clutch "hooks up".

Weak springs are the most-likely cause, assuming you are using correct oil. You can get a set of six springs for about $20 and a gasket for about $10, so order them, then take your clutch cover off and measure your disks. If they are too thin (worn out), you will need them, too, but no need to spend that money until you know you have to.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've not noticed any slippage. This was my first bike though so I may assume the slippage is normal.

I think it must have been a kink. What I experienced today even the wife would have said something was wrong. I'll check the cable path before I head home.

Comment

Working...
          X