No announcement yet.

Gs850 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes. When I pulled plug 2 I could feel air coming out when I turned the engine. Plug 2 has spark. Leads me to think I need to do the carbs again. They were in horrible shape when I go the bike. I'll adjust the valves and if it still messed up, head back into the carbs.

Scudder

Comment

Hi,

Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get the carbs really clean.

Starter clutch page from Partshark's parts fiche: http://www.partshark.com/fiche_secti...1980&fveh=2143

Have a look at this before you adjust the valves:

Valve Adjustments (8 Valve)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Got the stator cover back on and the big gear lined up. Check the gaps on valves and all check out fine. Opened up carb 2 and started taking out all the jets, etc. The mixture screw was a real problem getting out. It was every tight, and I almost striped the head of it removing it. I dipped the jets, and the orignial mixture screw. I'm hoping that might be the problem. Seems to be the last thing that I can think of as the problem. Going to reassemble and give'er a shot tomorrow or Friday.

Scudder

Comment

Your problem is more likely in the carb body of #2 rather than the jets

You did dip them before?
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Nope. Just sprayed them, extensively. I've never, dipped my carbs before, but I know I should. Just haven't wanted to go through taking the carbs apart from one another and then syncing them after. Basically I've been a bit intimitated to do it, but I suppose there is no short cut. Going to have to go the whole 9 yards, with this bike.

Scudder

Comment

Hi,

Yes, a proper carb cleaning is essential. Have you done this? Click here.----> Mikuni BS(CV) Carburetor Rebuild Tutorial (by Mr. Nessism)

What about the other necessary maintenance tasks? For the lists, click here:----> The Mega-Welcome.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have done all the big 10 things to do. I learned that the hard way on my gs750. However, I've not rebuilt using the tutorial. It is in my plan though. I was hoping to escape the dipping and total rebuild, but looks like that ain't gonna happen.

Scudder

Comment

Cleaned the carbs and carb parts for #2. Cylinder 2 is now firing. Pipe is hot, etc. Seems to have solved the problem for now. Bike starts and idles great. Long way from road worthy though. Thanks a million.

Scudder

Comment

You may wish to use some Sea Foam in the fuel, especially if the bike will be some time before on the road. Sea Foam acts very well as a fuel stabilizer and may work away at inacessbile deposits.

It's good to hear of another 850 going to be back on the road.

Originally posted by Scudder View Post
                    Cleaned the carbs and carb parts for #2. Cylinder 2 is now firing. Pipe is hot, etc. Seems to have solved the problem for now. Bike starts and idles great. Long way from road worthy though. Thanks a million.

Scudder

Comment

Working...
                    X