GS750 engine start, 16yrs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 engine start, 16yrs

I am restoring a GS750 that has been stored for 16 years. It has oil in the crankcase and WD40 in the cylinders. Any suggestions on how to go about getting the engine ready to run again. I plan to do a compression test. Should I flush the crankcase? With what, kerosene? Engine has 42K mi. What should I not do?

I usually do not flush it with anything but OIL. by flushing it, do you mean before starting? i'd at least drop the old oil and put in new. after you get it runing i'd changethe oil and filter AGAIN!!!
    THEN:

also, depending on HOW it was stored and where.. I think i'd spray lube into each cylinder and turn the crank either with a wrench on the stator side, or by snicking it into 3rd gear and on the sidestand turn the rear wheel. that way the engine will turn over and not get hot . I usually do this on bikes i get that have sat. If theres any rust in the cylinder walls, that will help.

Barring a complete teardown and rebuild that's what I'd do first.

If you've already used the electric starter and it turns over, now you'll find that the fuel system is more than llikely messed up.
    by that I mean is the tank spotless inside? does the petcock turn and the gas flow on the prime position? is the petcock filter clean? and finally but most importantly:

will the carbs deliver fuel to the bike on all four cylinders and let it run on idle, midrange, and wide open. I hope so but probably not!!!!
    I rarely see a bike run properly that has sat or been 'stored' for any length of time, so each one is different. lots of times the #1 carb is plugged up totally and the others are not so bad. Why? the bike leans that way and that carb will, over time, get all the fuel if the petcock leaks!

that said, even if it starts up and runs PERFECTLY, then I'd check VALVE CLEARANCE no matter what . I've ruined a few GSs by riding them after getting them running only to burn a valve cause it was corroded from sitting.

hope this helps
    Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Restart

Well for one WD40 isn't a lube so it has evaporated a long time ago, I would squirt some light oil on top of the cylinders and rotate the engine a few times to help the rings out some, chances are they could have seized by now but one never knows. For sitting for that long, drain the oil and probably flush it with a #1 kerosene then maybe pull the oil pan off and clean when you can from it. You are gonna have to pull the carbs off and clean them for sure (resync the carbs) and check the valve adjustments to make sure none of the springs have collasped. Also check and clean the fuel tank, sitting empty that long it is sure to have rust in it, change the fuel lines too. When you get ready to fire it up, I would add a light oil 30w with a new oil filter (get a couple oil filters for this) and run the bike just enough till it heats up to operation temps then drain it, it should flush out any thing left in there, oh yeah have the bike on its center stand and run the the gears to clean them off as well too, then drain the oil and pour in your choice of lube and change the filter again. You'll have a bit of blue smoke from the residue oil on the pistons, it should clear out in few, though if the bike continues to smoke after you put in the other oil, then you have problems. As you can see this is a long process though a careful one, last thing you want to do is have new rings installed. Have fun!
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If it was mine, I'd just put some diesel oil down each cylinder and fire that bitch up.

If it's gonna break, it's gonna do it then.

No special treatment. I wanna see it run in unfavorable conditions right away, just to give me an idea of how tough the motor is.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you all for the suggestions; I find them very helpful.

I do mean to flush, if at all, before starting.

Comment

Working...
          X