Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant get into Second Gear or above

Hi Guys
    I've been building my GS1100 for the past year, finally got it on the road today for the first ride ever.
    Was amazing to finally ride her since I brought her home in sick condition.

Before I pulled the engine out many months ago, I could click through the geras (i know this because I was testing the cables that light up the gear position indicator with my multimeter and went through all the gears).

I've replaced the clutch on her and it works fine, but I can only go from neutral to first, I cant click into second....I can go from neutral to first back to neutral very easily.

I remember when I was replacing the clutch basket, the gear lever has a certain spot it sits in, is it possible i didn't put it back properly?

If anyone could shed some ideas on where to start looking, that would be great.
    Cheers.

My build here :

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.

If you did not split the cases, that lever is where I would start looking intently.

Comment

Thanks, Number 27 in the pic. Is it possible I put it in wrong..it can only go in one way..hmm...or is there a way to put it in wrong.

Comment

I'd look to ensure your lever is installed back in the correct position and then everything is adjusted correctly first.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok will drain the oil and pop the cover off tomorrow (its 1.30 am here!) and have a look to see what could be wrong.
          Hope its a quick fix

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
            ok will drain the oil and pop the cover off tomorrow (its 1.30 am here!) and have a look to see what could be wrong.
            Hope its a quick fix
            If you leave the bike on the side stand, you do not need to drain the oil to pull the clutch cover.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              I'd look to ensure your lever is installed back in the correct position and then everything is adjusted correctly first.
              I would agree if he had a remote mounted shifter located to the rear of the shifter shaft with an extension connecting it. But that shifter bolts directly to the shaft and you basically place it where it is comfortable for your footwear and riding style (some like it a bit further down, I tend to like mine just a tad higher because my riding boots are thick).

Comment

R u sure? How the heck does that work. Does the oil not come up iver the sump?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  If you leave the bike on the side stand, you do not need to drain the oil to pull the clutch cover.

I hate it when you beat me to the punch. NOT. Excellent response, you sound like you have been here before.
                  oosham, the oil flows to the left side of the bike. If you don't believe him, place it on the side stand and look in the oil level window. It will be clear.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    I would agree if he had a remote mounted shifter located to the rear of the shifter shaft with an extension connecting it. But that shifter bolts directly to the shaft and you basically place it where it is comfortable for your footwear and riding style (some like it a bit further down, I tend to like mine just a tad higher because my riding boots are thick).
                    Thanks Kid. I was thinking how mine is set up where the lever is on the left side of the bike on that shaft there. I know I've seen pictures of others where it goes into the clutch cover but didn't know how that translated to the shift lever itself. I wish I could just adjust mine to whereever but it does work where it is.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

Make sure that #27 is lined up properly and that #6, 7, 8, 9 etc are all there and didn't fall out.
                      79 GS1000S
                      79 GS1000S (another one)
                      80 GSX750
                      80 GS550
                      80 CB650 cafe racer
                      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Fixed and fixed.
                        I ended up draining the oil (seemed safer! hehe)

Number 27 was not lined up with the cog properly. I had to pull it out of the way, click the cog up with a screw driver and then lock it in.
                        Clicks through all gears.
                        Ahhh yeah, took her out for a decent ride today for teh first time ever (1 year of building)..

thanks peepsl

Comment

Sweet. Ain't it great when a plan works out?
                          Now ride that son of a gun.

Comment

Congratulations

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Hi,

I love happy endings! I'm a fan of Astro Boy too! He's been a hero of mine since 1966.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X