gs700ef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs700ef

hey guys, going to get my new (to me) '85 gs700ef tomorrow. just looking to get some basic info about it ahead of time.

first, are there any manuals online or do i have to buy one?

second, are valves bucket or screw?

third, since i know nothing about the bike i'm going to do valve adjustments, do i need a gasket or is it like the honda xr series (no gasket needed) and if i do need one where's a good place to get it? shims are decently priced on z1 so no problem there.

fourth, looked at the RR listing by matchless but couldn't find any info about the 700. anyone have any info about sourcing a new one if mine is in the crapper?

fifth, is cam chain tensioner auto or manual?

thanks guys any info will help. i'll be surfing the forum all night tonight to get info before i tear into it tmrw.

ok so valves are screw, yay.

Comment

1. BassCliff has an 83, would probably be close: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
      2. already answered
      3. Yes, you need a gasket. OEM are vastly prefered; aftermarkets are just not up to snuff. I had two in a row disentegrate on my on the road. Embarrassing and time consuming.
      4. I would assume the same would work; I have not heard of any that were not compatible, especially the 4 cylinders.
      5. Auto.

Comment

Some Add-ins & corrections

1. With the 700 you have to lift the crossed over oil pipes on top of the head to get to the screws.
        The bolts holding these pipes are special & no longer exist as new so be careful with them (same with the pipes). I had two of these bolts that were broken due to overtightening. Luckily they spun right out. I have a spare set if you need some.... Rest of the procedure is similar.

3. The Gasket is rubber so no you DON't necessarily need a new one. However if it's the original you probably will need one (or you'll have to use some blue gunk). New ones are about $30. The bolts that hold the cover on are also sealed by rubber coated washers. Again if original you will probably need new ones but if fresh they can be re-used over & over. Don't overtighten as they go down to a positive stop on a shoulder & will snap.

4. Yes. I had a Shindengen FH012 on mine. Any Matchless lists will work. The 750/700 of this era (83-86) had an awful RR & if yours is not shot I would replace it anyway. Failure mode is usually over voltage (if grounds are good which they usually are on these bikes as it already has an RR direct back to battery ground wire as stock). First sign is blown headlight... & you risk the health of the CDI & battery too. Not sure if there is room for the Shindengen in stock location, I relocated mine for other reasons.
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

yup planning on replacing the RR.

any advice on a reputable source to get the head gasket?

and thanks for the manual koolaid kid i can't imagine their that different. either way that's a good website.

Comment

http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...anual_1983.pdf Manual link

700 supplement link.I have both downloaded as my Canadian 750 is a mix and some of it's own stuff

Comment

Working...
            X