cam chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cam chain

I just got an 81 1100 e and pulled the valve cover and found NO cam chain !! is it a non interferance engine???

No worries with cam chain rattle then. That's a bonus.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by willys 55 View Post
      I just got an 81 1100 e and pulled the valve cover and found NO cam chain !! is it a non interferance engine???

One of mine wasn't.
      But, it had radical cams and much more compression.
      You might be safe. Wait for some more experienced with stock motor replies.
      Either install a new chain and line everything up as it is supposed to be and find out
      or remove the cylinder and take a peek.

Daniel

Comment

Sorry, I thought you were joking.

If the cam chain has snapped it's highly unlikely that the valves haven't kissed the pistons. And where is the chain? Wrapped up around the bottom somewhere? I would pull the top off and have a peek.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

thinking that same thing" were's the chain"

Comment

I would certainly pull the head and check out the tops of the pistons. You'll also want to check for bent valves. You may have to pull the cylinder block to fish it out, if present, and (possibly, depending on your findings) install a new chain.

Comment

The GS engines ARE interference engines; bust the chain and the valves will hit the pistons.

Suzuki uses endless cam chains, which means you will have to split the crankcase to install a new one. Some people gamble on master links with cam chains, others won't. Personally, I'd plan to split the crankcase just to be safe.
              Last edited by Nessism; 12-05-2011, 04:36 PM.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It's a full motor tear down to replace the chain

DO NOT substitute a master linked chain, I'll bet that's what was done on your motor
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I didn't see it mentioned but another reason to split the crankcase is to determine whether there has been damage to the chain sprocket on the crankshaft and to the crankcase 1/2's. Depending on how that chain flailed around on the way, it may have doubled back on itself and then been forced through damaging surrounding structures.

Does the crankshaft turn without signs of something dragging/binding?

A cracked sprocket or other breakage may bite you after it is all back together if you feel a master linked chain through. If you decide to use a master linked chain, and I'd be more than tempted, inspect the chain well for signs and have a good look for sprocket run-out or chipped teeth, etc.

I know about the master link debate but lots of engines run them for ever without problems. An important consideration is that the master link clip must run with the closed end forward or you risk having the clip pushed off by the intertia of flying oil. If it were summer, likely might give into the temptation of master link but it's winter, you can't ride....

Comment

except...Willys55 is in Hollister, California.

Weather looks pretty good for riding there right about now

Be prepared with the most accurate 10-day forecast for Hollister, CA with highs, lows, chance of precipitation from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

Maybe not in the 80s like Steve is experiencing in Florida right now, but beats the heck out of our 29-30F tonight [EDIT- and it's not getting much warmer throught he day for the rest of the week, either ].
                    Last edited by BigD_83; 12-06-2011, 02:15 AM.
                    '83 GS650G
                    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

I run a master linked wheel chain, but I would NEVER run a master link on a cam chain. A riveted chain is the least i would go on the cam chain. Personally, I split my cases and used an endless chain.
                      Z1 sells the riveter and chains.

Comment

I removed the top end and looked inside w/ that small space thinking I could see the chain. no cigar. the PO looked and acted a little shady and nervous as he delivered it 200 miles to my driveway. thought I was getting a killer deal. it sounds like a money pit to me now and thats alright, I'll do my share to help the economy and laugh it off.

Comment

How are the valves and pistons?
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            How are the valves and pistons?
                            Follow Tom's advice and answer his question.

Don't get ahead of yourself here. It could be as simple as the idiot PO dropped the cam chain when he was trying to refit the cams and the chain ended up at the bottom of the crank. There may be no upper end damage at all. If this is the case you should be able to fish the cam chain out now the head and cylinders are off.

One step at a time. Back to Tom's question: Are the valves and pistons damaged?

Comment

I see first off on the pistons a witness mark from intake valve side on each piston. (w/ a eye loop) it looks to me that the valve just kissed the pistons. I can scratch the witness marks and leave a deeper mark ,like the valves were squeezing the carbon built up on the pistons. on the #1 intake I can see a dip ,dent ,imprint on the valves and a smaller imprint at the #3 intake also. right now I can see nothing on the exhaust side on pistons and valves.before I took off the head to make space I took off the ex. side cam and I did not make note of the exhaust cam postion. I need to better orginize my work area before I go any further.

Comment

Working...
                              X