No announcement yet.

cam chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip the head with the ports facing up and put 2-3 oz of gas in each port and see if any gas comes past the valves

Then, flip it over and try the other set of ports

BTW, best done outside
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Tip the head with the ports facing up and put 2-3 oz of gas in each port and see if any gas comes past the valves

Then, flip it over and try the other set of ports

BTW, best done outside
      So I'm not sure what the above means.

I think it would be good to do a leak down test. Maybe there is an opening (aka oil drain hole or some such) that would permit using a snake-type magnet to fish up the maybe-camchain? If there are bits/flakes/shavings connected with the result, repost?

S.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorse47 View Post
        So I'm not sure what the above means.

I think it would be good to do a leak down test. Maybe there is an opening (aka oil drain hole or some such) that would permit using a snake-type magnet to fish up the maybe-camchain? If there are bits/flakes/shavings connected with the result, repost?

S.
        He already has the head off, kind of hard to do a leak down test now. An easy was of checking for leaky valves is to fill the ports with solvent/gas or something. If you get leakage then you know you have a leaky/bent valve. A bent valve will let a LOT of liquid past it.

Comment

w/ the engine still in the bike and looking down into case I can't see the chain wouldn't the chain be bunched up around the crank ? and announce it self while turning the engine over? also before I found the chain was not there I was told the starter was bad and I RnR the stater and now I can turn the engine over and I didn't hear anything wrong.I try a comp. test and the numbers are all over the place ,thinking a bad valve adjustment and discover the missing chain. the chain guilde/tensioner on the carb side of the engine looks chewed up at the hinge and the other side (exhaust ) is clean.I think that's a lot of chain (if it's there ) down there to announce it self while turnig it over. I'm hoping for the best and expecting the worst.

Comment

If you can see the spocket on the crank the cam chain was removed.
            Pull the cylinders since you'll have to split the cases anyway to put a cam chain on.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I just split hte case and 1 of the bearings next to the sprocket on the crankshaft has failed . the rollers spilled out all over w/ pieces of the retainer . looks like the bottom of the case took a small beating,the cam chain guide is still intact. I'm wondering if it's a lost cause??

Comment

Working...
              X