GS750 needs more umph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
    Here's your first look at a 77 on this site, bccap...
    Me likey your '77....very much. Great look, nice lines. What's the swingarm from, and I assume the fork and front brakes are not stock?

Now, back to those valves...
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Great looking bike dardoonk ! I like the color scheme.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time1983 GS 750
      https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4256/3...8bf549ee_t.jpghttps://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4196/3...cab9f62d_t.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERPIPES View Post
        Hi yank, thank you for your message.the clocks show just 22,000 miles ,however it has been park in a garage for several years rusting away. I shall take your wise advise and check the valve clearances before stripping down. kind Regards William.
        When get the valves adjusted, just riding it hard for a thousand miles may restore some compression. It's worth a try before you do a transplant.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
          Me likey your '77....very much. Great look, nice lines. What's the swingarm from, and I assume the fork and front brakes are not stock?

Now, back to those valves...

Front end components & swinger are lifted off an 83 GS1100E.

Comment

Hello William and welcome aboard the good ship GSR. A few lads from Kent on here - all within a stone's throw of Robinsons so you don't have to rely on the postman.

You can't go wrong with an 8 valve 750 - unbustable. If she's only got 22k on there she probably only needs a bit of basic maintenance and a bloody good thrash to sort her out. Valve check is an absolute must - she could have made it this far without the clearances ever having been done and that's why she's looking down on compression. Have you done a compression test by the way - hot engine and WOT? And the oil smoke might just be caused by hardened valve stem oil seals. Does she run cleaner when she's warmed up?

For added pep the 1979 850 top end bolts straight on, 1980 onwards needs a bit more work but not much. Leave the 750 cams in there - they are mildly hotter (exhaust has a tad more duration) than the 850 and the 1000.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
              Hello William and welcome aboard the good ship GSR. A few lads from Kent on here - all within a stone's throw of Robinsons so you don't have to rely on the postman.

You can't go wrong with an 8 valve 750 - unbustable. If she's only got 22k on there she probably only needs a bit of basic maintenance and a bloody good thrash to sort her out. Valve check is an absolute must - she could have made it this far without the clearances ever having been done and that's why she's looking down on compression. Have you done a compression test by the way - hot engine and WOT? And the oil smoke might just be caused by hardened valve stem oil seals. Does she run cleaner when she's warmed up?

For added pep the 1979 850 top end bolts straight on, 1980 onwards needs a bit more work but not much. Leave the 750 cams in there - they are mildly hotter (exhaust has a tad more duration) than the 850 and the 1000.
              Are the 8-valve 750 cams a direct bolt in to an 8-valve 1000 head?

Comment

i love the 750's too..... i think they look nicer than the 1000's in many respects..... and they have some nicer bits in the motor as well - if it's been sitting for a while i'd pop some white spirit of similar into the plug holes for a few days to help release the (likely) gummed rings (then out with the plugs and spin it over a little to get any left overs out of the bores)..... then change the oil, check the valves and give 'er a good ole thrashing for a few hundred miles. see what happens. can't hurt and may well be ok afterwards

Comment

Working...
                X