Valve Gap Clearance 82 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Gap Clearance 82 GS750E

I am restoring a 1982 GS750E and was advised to set valve gap to ensure both the valve is working and the gap is correct. I have the valve cover off and the cams and rocker arms exposed and looked up in my Clymer manual, only goes to 1980, my Haynes manual, and my Suzuki manual and I get different numbers for different years and types of engines, none of the three state unequivically what a 1982 TSCC 750 valve gap should be and the three have different gaps from 1 to 4 thousanths of an inch.

Anyone know truth here?

Go with the Suzuki service manual.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I believe the 1982 gs750e is a 16 valve engine. If so you will see a service manual at the below link.
      Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
      Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
      1983 GS 750

Comment

Inches ?!?! .....we don't need no stinking inches.

Your answer is .08-.13 mm......both intake and exhaust.

I'd also recommend to make up a set of these, it makes adjusting the tappets much easier.

Last edited by Larry D; 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM.
        Larry D
        1980 GS450S
        1981 GS450S
        2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by stevetower01 View Post
          I am restoring a 1982 GS750E and was advised to set valve gap to ensure both the valve is working and the gap is correct. I have the valve cover off and the cams and rocker arms exposed and looked up in my Clymer manual, only goes to 1980, my Haynes manual, and my Suzuki manual and I get different numbers for different years and types of engines, none of the three state unequivically what a 1982 TSCC 750 valve gap should be and the three have different gaps from 1 to 4 thousanths of an inch.

Anyone know truth here?
          The gap is 3-5 thou, in and ex, I always go for 4 thou. As from the suzuki service manual. Do you have the service manual? Its available from Bass Cliffs site.

Comment

Good stuff here. I simply used .05 and gaped them all to that and called it good. Be mindful that you get those locknuts tight. It can be a bit of a trick doing that without spinning the adjuster, so I left the feeler gauge in there to make sure I didn't tighten it as I did it. But they need to be tight or they can back off and we've had a member or two end up with the nut bouncing around inside their valve train.

Good luck!

Comment

Valve Gap Advice

Thanks for the feedback, especially the advice on how to download the 1983 Suzuki Repair Manual. It not only clearly had the correct gap, 0.004" to 0.005" but was also clear and has a great deal of other useful information too. I paid $20 for the wrong one and this one is free, wow!

Thanks also for the tappet adjusting tool design photos, took a little head scratching to figure out that is what is was, but it was easy to make and very useful. Why two of them?

The advice to use the other, earlier Suzuki Manual, 0.001" gap, and setting the gap at 50 thousanths inches, 0.05", was not so good.

Comment

Thanks also for the tappet adjusting tool design photos, took a little head scratching to figure out that is what is was, but it was easy to make and very useful. Why two of them?
                The reason for two of them is that you have two valves to adjust every time you check a clearance. It is often suggested to use two sets of feeler gauges and do both valves at the same time.

The advice to use the other, earlier Suzuki Manual, 0.001" gap, and setting the gap at 50 thousanths inches, 0.05", was not so good.
                You have to be VERY careful when you are talking valve clearances around here. There are only TWO clearances that are used and NEITHER ONE of them is specified in INCHES.

The spec that gets close to 0.001" is for the 8-valve engines that use shims for adjustment. The ACTUAL, SPECIFIED clearance is 0.03 to 0.08 mm, which is approximately 0.0012 to 0.0031". The clearance that is specified for your engine is 0.08 to 0.13 mm, which is approximately 0.003 to 0.005". The 750s up through '79 used shims, starting in '80, they were threaded adjusters, so it is very important to note the year of your 750 when asking questions. Better yet, put it in your sig, so you only have to enter it ONCE.

Look again, that recommendation for "setting the gap at 50 thousanths inches, 0.05" " said to use 0.05 MILLIMETERS, not inches. (And, it is correct. )

Be VERY CAREFUL when reading specs, pay attention to whether they are being given in METRIC or IMPERIAL (inch) measurements.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ya, I have been setting my 4 valve engines for 5 years now and I set them one at a time, and NEVER was the clearance out when I went back to double check the other valve.

Comment

Hi,

It seems you have missed your "mega-welcome" in your introductory thread. Have a look.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                    X