Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assembling Cases 1100E

Dumb Question:

Reading the shop manual it says to apply Suzuki bond only around the mating edges of the lower case.

I'm assuming no sealant goes around the transmission and crankshaft bearing surfaces. Am I right?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm probably in over my head with this build, but its time I learn how do do this myself.

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
    Dumb Question:

Reading the shop manual it says to apply Suzuki bond only around the mating edges of the lower case.

I'm assuming no sealant goes around the transmission and crankshaft bearing surfaces. Am I right?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm probably in over my head with this build, but its time I learn how do do this myself.
    Yes, no sealant on any bearings, there are seals there. Putting sealant on the bearings will make the cases not mate together properly. Seals need sealant where the outer edge meets the case.

Comment

Thaks for quick response Gearhead.

Comment

Yes, exactly what Gearhead said. Only a thin layer of sealant is required.

here is a pic of the areas to be covered with sealant, this is on a Kawa 400 twin, but you get the idea.

Comment

Isleoman,

I too plan to split the cases of my 821100e before spring to replace leaky gaskets and the transmission. If you ran into any "I shoulda boughts" please let me know. Since I have very little spare time on weekends my plan is to try to take a week off from work and tackle it M-F in one fell swoop.
          1982 GS1000S Katana
          1982 GS1100E

Comment

Buy gearheads 1170 kit and rock and roll!
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
              Isleoman,

I too plan to split the cases of my 821100e before spring to replace leaky gaskets and the transmission. If you ran into any "I shoulda boughts" please let me know. Since I have very little spare time on weekends my plan is to try to take a week off from work and tackle it M-F in one fell swoop.

Pano,

Don't have any knowledgeable advice since this is my first time. I took advantage of Boulevard Suzuki's sale and picked up most of the replaceable parts inside the cases and gaskets. There is one part I can't really figure out it purpose. It's the small rubber pad
              Item 28 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2156 (anyone know what this pad does other than seal a void in the cases)

I now have three sets of cases. My original cases which have a crack, a set of cases I got from Rapid Ray and re-painted and a set of 82 silver NOS cases with bolts I picked up on EBAY last month. The seller bought them 25 years ago and never did anything with them.

The cylinder block in my stock engine is a 0 mile NOS with a ne 1168 kit and the head has a newly completed Star Racing treatment.

The cases from Ray had a nice transmission in them so I plan to use it. My stock tranny was fine but the output shaft splines were worn quite a bit after 107K miles. I eventually want to build a spare engine as well out of the cases from Ray. Would be nice if I could find new rings for my 1133 Yosh pistons.

Sine I have multiple other bikes that tend to distract me whenever its nice out I plan to just slowly plug away at it and keep pinging the forum for advice along the way.

I talked to Rick Stetson (Harry's Machine) in Northboro about doing the build, he said figure close to $1000 which sounds about right but I'm probably just going to learn how to do it myself. Now's the time of year if you wanted their help. After February its get in line.

I'm losing my Ace in the Hole soon. My buddy that runs the machine shop at work is retiring 12/31. He's helped me with so many pieces on my bike that it's more his build than mine. I'm thankful for all his help, he is truly a gifted machinist, you should see his 37 Ford truck street rod with a corvette engine and chassis.

Speaking of distractions, the sun just popped out on 12/23, its 46 degrees in central New England and time to warm up one f the FZ1s for a ride. Was out for two hours yesterday with temps in the upper 50s.

Comment

Send me a complete set of the 1134 rings & I can get them for you. About a hundred bixks or so. Ray.

Comment

My guess is that rubber pad is the one that sits next to the starter, under the starter motor cover shown on page 7-59 bottom picture in the Suzuki service manual. The Clymer manual shows it on pg 118 in the bottom picture. Thats my guess anyway. The parts fiche places it above the starter area.

I may be a bit over ambitious with a 1 week rebuild. I may need to change my strategy to 1 day a week in order to allow time to receive any needed parts I overlooked.

Thanks - Pano
                  1982 GS1000S Katana
                  1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Send me a complete set of the 1134 rings & I can get them for you. About a hundred bixks or so. Ray.
                    Thanks Ray, may take you up on this. Need to have someone look at the pistons first and make sure their worth saving. They are pretty old and high mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman View Post
                      There is one part I can't really figure out it purpose. It's the small rubber pad
                      Item 28 http://www.boulevardsuzuki.com/fiche...1982&fveh=2156 (anyone know what this pad does other than seal a void in the cases)
                      If the pad is about 3/4" square or so it goes under the starter cover as you guessed. It wedges between the starter and the Reg/Rect wires to keep the wires off of the starter motor. I assume that under prolonged cranking the starter motor can actually get hotter than the surrounding cases and could possibly damage the Reg/Rect wires.

Comment

Working...
                      X