Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tranny area knock/chatter

Whats up,
    As I am new to the whole gs thing, I am a little scared. I have a 82 gs1100g and for some reason it has started making a weird sound kind of like the one in this link on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smCIu7KEESc so if anyone has any info that can help me out it would be much appreciated. All I know as of right now is that it is getting colder now and I have all the time I need to try and fix it. Hopefully before next season...

Sometimes the secondary gear set the threaded stub breaks off. I would check there first

Comment

Hi,

You might also post this question in one of the technical sections (4 Cylinder Engine/Drivetrain/Clutch) since this section is for questions about the forum software, configuration, and operation.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have the exact same bike, with nearly the same noise a couple months ago. Still ran and hooked up great, for a while. now it pumps oil mixture from the secondary gear breather. In the process of (trying to find time to) tearing down the motor and find out wtf. Suspect a bearing or broken gear spline or....(insert guess here)

Comment

I've had the same noise on 2 1100G's that I've owned. On one of them, the drive shaft snapped at the base of the threads. It still rode and powered fine because the design is such that the u-joint holds everything in place. On a different 1100G I found the output bearing was so worn that the excessive play for the output shaft wound up destroying both pinion gears. THAT one couldn't be ridden without fear of locking up or coming apart. Good luck with your's.
          Willie
          Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
          '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
          '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
          '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Which side of the motor does the noise/chatter seem to be coming from?

Does it only make the noise when the bike is in gear and driving the rear wheel on the cente stand?

Does it make the noise in neutral when idling?

You could also pull the clutch basket and check for any looseness in there. If you can rotate the springs by hand then they are too loose.

I had a similar noise/chatter in my motor (not an 1100) and when I replaced the clutch basket with another low mileage one the noise disappeared.

A symptom of the clutch basket problem is that the noise/chatter is only evident at idle and disappears once there are a few revs on the motor and is not evident when riding on the road.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

parts for drive train problems

where do I find parts for repair worn drive train? My mechanic doesn't want to open up the bike drive shaft since we can't find any parts.

Comment

Originally posted by augello.michael View Post
                where do I find parts for repair worn drive train? My mechanic doesn't want to open up the bike drive shaft since we can't find any parts.
                There are usually some drivetrain parts on e bay or post a wanted ad in the "parts wanted" section on this forum. Somebody has them.

Comment

Originally posted by augello.michael View Post
                  What bike are we talking about? If you put it in your signature it will help the members here to be able to help you.Also if your "mechanic" does not take it a part how does he know what parts you need. Opening up the bikes drive shaft is not a difficult task. Also go introduce yourself so you can get your Mega Welcome and there is alot of info in your welcome package. Also alot of the drive train parts are still available through Suzuki
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                  X