clutch sleeve hub tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
    I wondered about that. Didn't know if it might possibly damage the wheel.
    Not really possible on the cast wheels I did it with and how little force it actually is anyway... If I had a helper they could have easily just held the wheel while the nut was cracked loose.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Unless i am not mistaken..theres a few holes in the outer half of the basket that you can put something like an allen wrench thru and lock the inner hub against it..that will also be a good trick to hold it so one can use both hands on a ratchet..
      I know this is an old thread, but in case anyone else was searching for this info, I used your tip Chuck - put an allen wrench in one of those holes you mentioned and gave my socket a wrench a nice tap with my hammer. the nut came right off.

I don't have a power impact driver so that wasn't an option for me. I tried that towel trick, too, but the basket just kept spinning. The allen wrench worked like a charm.

Comment

Here is an easier way, get on old steel plate and one old fiber, drill two holes in them and bolt them together. Put it in the basket and it engages the crank to the tranny. Now you can use a ratchet or an impact to do the job.

Comment

I used a needle vice grips on a steel plate, which I protected with a piece of rag. It worked!

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
            I wondered about that. Didn't know if it might possibly damage the wheel.
            That's how I tightened the nut. FYI electric impacts are cheap at harbor freight and while not commercial grade by any stretch they work great for anything you'll ever do on a bike or your own car.

Comment

Getting the nut off is not the problem, tightening to the proper torque spec without the proper tool is a problem. Best bet is to weld a handle to a clutch plate. There is no chance of damaging anything like jamming a wrench in the inner basket.
              Last edited by Guest; 05-19-2013, 01:03 PM.

Comment

just try my idea, you'll never need another tool for that job again, It's so simple a caveman could do it........

Comment

I guess I am way off base here. I purchased the clutch basket / hub tool on Ebay for $18.00 delivered.
                  I don't think you are off base at all, it really depends on what engine you are working on. The OP was not specific about which engine was being worked on. There are tools available like you describe for $18, but this tool may not be available for all engines. The RF900 I have requires a $150 tool for the inner hub and another tool for the outer hub. I pretty much have to make a tool because I can't justify spending that much money on a tool I may only use a couple of times.

Comment

I'm planning on replacing the springs in my rig/ inspecting the clutch plates. I have a handful of impact wrenches, getting the nut off is not my worry. Getting it torqued back to the proper spec is however concerning. I don't have any old clutch plates to make a tool and shoving an allen wrench into the internals of my clutch to act as a stop makes me a little nervous. Anybody have hands on experience w/ a 79' 850?

Engine is out of the frame, blocking or braking the rear wheel isn't really an option at the moment. Should I wait to crack the clutch open till I have the engine back in frame?
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-03-2015, 02:17 AM.

Comment

i have only used an impact gun my whole life...7 second GS's to factory stock.
                      let it rattle a few seconds with the clutch pack installed and fold the tab over...call it good.

Comment

Hi All
                        Here is the tool that I made to hold the clutch sleeve hub so I could torque the hub nut up .20151214_190717.jpg
                        Regards
                        John
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Kinda looks like a Harley Tool!!! Looks solid!!! Mike

Comment

Working...
                          X