Project Getting Started - questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Getting Started - questions

I picked up a 78 GS 550E over a year ago, now is when i can start digging into it. It did come with a few more issues than i thought and i am looking for some advice from those with more knowledge with these bikes. questions:

-Tranny leakes from the clutch pin AND from the oil pan,
    -previous owner sprayed the engine black and chipping away (looks ugly)
    -last time engine ran it would not stay running or start without a jump (car battery simply connected), guessing stator needs changing along with new battery
    -need carb boots/intake manifolds, those screws that hold them on do not budge or pretend to turn. can they be replaced with 10 mm bolts if they ever come off?
    -are repairing all these items better or..

-would i be better off buying a replacement engine? and if so, i would be very curious if a larger engine would bolt in.

thank you

Originally posted by Tfresh99 View Post
    I picked up a 78 GS 550E over a year ago, now is when i can start digging into it. It did come with a few more issues than i thought and i am looking for some advice from those with more knowledge with these bikes. questions:

-Tranny leakes from the clutch pin AND from the oil pan, Replace the clutch pushrod seal and oil pan gasket

-previous owner sprayed the engine black and chipping away (looks ugly) Scrub down the engine with degreaser and scotchbrite and paint it again

-last time engine ran it would not stay running or start without a jump (car battery simply connected), guessing stator needs changing along with new battery Charging system problems are common on GS bikes, but easy to fix (at the cost of some cash). Please do a search for "the stator papers" and start reading.

-need carb boots/intake manifolds, those screws that hold them on do not budge or pretend to turn. can they be replaced with 10 mm bolts if they ever come off? Use vice grips or an impart driver to remove the outer most boot screws, then turn the entire boot to try to remove the inner screw. Works about 1/2 the time. Otherwise, get a long extension on your impact driver or try to use a chisel and hammer and punch the screws on the edge to get them to turn.

-are repairing all these items better or would i be better off buying a replacement engine? and if so, i would be very curious if a larger engine would bolt in. I'd fix the engine you have

thank you

Good luck and hope this helps...
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thanks, it does help

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Tfresh99,

You'll find a collection of maintenance material on my little website. I suggest reading all of it (it will take days) to get familiar with what it takes to get you bike back into a safe and reliable condition. Let's get started.

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Tfresh99, you;ve got a great midsize bike there. You have lot's of options available. You could go stock or cafe or whatever. Myself, I really like the midsize bikes for cafe projects. Those 850's and 1100's are just a little to hairy in a lightweight bike for me but the 550 feels just right and there are ton's of great examples on the site.

Welcome and keep plugging away. There's not a problem that can't be addressed by the great members on this site.

Sci85
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

impact driver and vice grips did the trick with the carb boots, finally off.

i am looking to keep it with a mostly stock look but with some custom touches. that stock seat feels a world more comfortable than the GSXR's, i like the contrast for different riding moods. will see what she develops into

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X