Developed oil leak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developed oil leak???

Hello all. I replaced my valve cover gasket with a new one. Had to spend a couple of hours carefully scraping off the old one with a razor blade, especially the center section of the head. Needless to say, a few pieces fell into the the valve train and cam chain area. I vacumed it out the best I could. I disconnected the oil cooler at the oil filter cover and capped the nipples. I figured I would warm it up on the center stand and run it through the gears, at idle, to filter out any loose pieces of the old gasket. Then change oil & filter. I started it up and all indicator lights stayed on! I let it run for about 30 sec., shut it down, checked all around the valve cover, all good. Stated it again, same thing happened. Shut it down. Then I noticed a couple of drops of oil on the floor under the motor, then I saw an oil leak at the front right of the oil pan. What could of happened? It has not been run for about 25 days prier to this.[ '82 GS1100EZ } Thanks in advance.

Stupid me. I just figured it out. No oil could go through the filter. therefore no oil pressure. Pressure build up in oil pump blew oil oil pan gasket Sorry to waste your time.

Comment

Not a waste, as others can learn even from mistakes....

Glad you found the source of the oil leak, and nothing worse happened

Comment

I hope you were lucky. Roller bearings on the crank will survive 30 seconds with no oil pressure. Cam caps might not.

Comment

Hi again. Took her for a short ride, 50 miles, today. No problems. I dodged a bullet this time.

Comment

Working...
          X