Starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch

gs750 1977 squelling sound from the lower left side sitting on bike, which increases with revs, sounds just like a failing starter clutch, however i thought the starter clutch is on the right side behing the oil fill hole

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post
    gs750 1977 squelling sound from the lower left side sitting on bike, which increases with revs, sounds just like a failing starter clutch, however i thought the starter clutch is on the right side behing the oil fill hole
    Sitting on bike, the starter clutch is in that cover in front of your left foot (same area as charging stator). If sound increases with revs, could also be a clearance problem with rotor and stator windings. Time to remove cover!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks, would oil need to be drained before removal?

Comment

No. Lean the bike slightly to the right against the handlebar. I like to turn the handlebar to full lock left before leaning against something. A gasket and puller will be needed for starter clutch removal.

The current gasket may be saved if you're careful removing cover. Check three screws on stator windings and look at the three bolt threads poking out inside the rotor. Also helpful is drawing cover on a piece of cardboard and putting the cover bolts in their respective places, since the screws are different lengths.
        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

thanks, would oil need to be drained before removal?
          Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
          No. Lean the bike slightly to the right against the handlebar.
          Or just put a 2x4 under the left foot of the centerstand, like this:

Yes, the bike is steady enough to work on.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

"gs750 1977 squelling sound from the lower left side sitting on bike, which increases with revs, sounds just like a failing starter clutch"

took bike to garage they said starter clutch and stator fine, so what inside the engine would make a whistling turbo sounding noise when the revs are applied?

Comment

"gs750 1977 squelling sound from the lower left side sitting on bike, which increases with revs, sounds just like a failing starter clutch"

took bike to garage they said starter clutch and stator fine, so what inside the engine would make a whistling turbo sounding noise when the revs are applied?
              Did they actually take stator cover off and pull rotor to arrive at this conclusion or did they rely on gut instinct?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

yeah they undid and tightened bolts to check stator and starter clutch, the noise stated after an oil change, i used the right oil, so hoping its just some dirt that will bed in

Comment

yeah they undid and tightened bolts to check stator and starter clutch, the noise stated after an oil change, i used the right oil, so hoping its just some dirt that will bed in
                  Remain vigilant, in case squeeling changes, and animals flee your approach!
                  1981 gs650L

Comment

If it started after an oil change, who did the oil change?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i did the oil change, i saw a forum elsewhere on the internet that an old Honda started to make this sort of noise cos the oil was too high?

Comment

i did the oil change, i saw a forum elsewhere on the internet that an old Honda started to make this sort of noise cos the oil was too high?
                        Too high?? you mean high viscosity? or too much oil? what brand/type did you use? 10-40 is typical, but stuff designed for motorcycles.
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                          Too high?? you mean high viscosity? or too much oil? what brand/type did you use? 10-40 is typical, but stuff designed for motorcycles.
                          Dunno for sure but are you talking about old CBs with oiler tanks? That doesn't really apply here. Your oil level should be at or just below the "F" mark in the sight glass with the bike upright and on fairly level ground. But I've never heard of an over-full bike squealing.
                          It's a long shot, but I'd be worried maybe your roller bearings on the crank have gone south and started to sing. But I dunno bout that. Really, were I you, I'd pull the stator cover off myself and have a look at the starter clutch, primary gear and secondary starter gears and make sure it all looks good. I wouldn't ever take some shops word for it. They could have done nothing at all, charged you for the inspection and sent you on your way.

Comment

Turbo sound.

When I was doing the basic repairs on my GS i had a problem with the startercluch and when i reassembled the parts and fired it up i got a kind of turbolike sound. I changed the rollerbearings and the sound dissapaired.
                            Maybe its the same problem for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X